The Tribute For Mike Star

Concerts, clubs, theatrical events, movies and more.

The Tribute For Mike Star

Postby Marsbar » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:35 pm

Tribute for Canada’s Godfather of Indie Rock set for Saturday April 2, 2016
The life and legacy of Mike Star of Star Records in Oshawa to be celebrated.
U.I.C. Chalk Circle, Royal Crowns and members of The Fleshtones to perform.
Fundraiser for Durham College Music Business Management
Mike Star scholarship

Mike's contribution to the community of Oshawa & the music world through his Star Records store, Star Records record label & his now-famous Star Club are all a valuable part of the musical history of Durham Region, and beyond.

Mike opened his flagship, independent Star Records store in Oshawa in 1974, and his influence soon spread with satellite stores in Hamilton, Scarborough, and Belleville. Mike Star was quick to spot unique and talented acts such bands as The Forgotten Rebels, Durango 95, Dr. Feelgood, The Creeps, The Cynics, Bookmen, The Lyres and Ben Vaughn, and to promote them on his independent Star Records label.

He created the Star Club to introduce an eager Oshawa audience to national and international independent punk, rockabilly and garage bands, like D.O.A., The Forgotten Rebels, The Bopcats, The Fleshtones, U.I.C., The Purple Toads, Evan Johns, Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet, Deja Voodoo, The Gruesomes and so many more.
Later, as the music business changed, and CDs became the favoured format of the industry, Mike remained steadfast in his preference for, and promotion of vinyl records. He passed away suddenly Sept 11 2015. The store will close after 42 years of business.

There will be spoken tributes by Lou Molinaro (promoter of It Ain’t Hollywood in Hamilton), Bob Bryden (Spirit of Christmas, Reign Ghost) and Al Cole of What Wave magazine.

http://mikestartribute.wix.com/shulga
Marsbar
Stage Manager

Re: The Tribute For Mike Star

Postby kosmo » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:45 am

The "Star Club" was usually the Orange hall on Bruce St. Most of the shows were 6 or 7 bucks and I never saw a fight or other trouble at any of them. Good times, miss ya Mike.
kosmo
Head Usher

Return to Events That Matter