Please, for god's sake, stop playing that awful Tame Impala

A cornucopia of what doesn't fit anywhere else - post away.

Please, for god's sake, stop playing that awful Tame Impala

Postby makaturing » Sun May 22, 2016 5:09 pm

Good gawd, every time I hear this awful song I run for cover. How long must we endure this?
makaturing
Usher

Re: Please, for god's sake, stop playing that awful Tame Imp

Postby Sunbeam » Sun May 22, 2016 6:38 pm

Suffer, baby :lol:

At least it made an impression ;)
Sunbeam
Sound Tech Manager

Postby Marsbar » Mon May 23, 2016 8:08 pm

Hi makaturing - What artist would you prefer. You can only pick one. :)
Marsbar
Stage Manager

Postby makaturing » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:29 am

Only one? Gotta be Michael Bublé. :mrgreen:

Every time I hear that part where it sounds like a CD skipping I grit my teeth, it's like the proverbial fingernail on the blackboard.

Sorry, but that's just a cheap stunt in a song that's already way too long. Bleccchh... awful stuff.

Ha ha, I just had to get that off my chest. You're not supposed to suppress your emotions, right? It's been building for weeks and I finally snapped. :oops:

I know people like the song. I just don't know why.
makaturing
Usher

Postby Marsbar » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:54 pm

makaturing - that's the thing about NYthespirit - it's not expected that everyone will like every song. And thank you for the most recent post.

Old fashioned radio stations started having all their music played for focus groups. That was complicated further, when radio stations started dropping songs - each time a couple of people complained. Now they're left with a very few songs from a world absolutely full of music.

Most commercial radio stations seem to believe their listeners are just waiting for an excuse to turn the station off. How ridiculous is that?

As it was with the early days of Free Form - in the early 70's with stations such as CHUM-FM or CHOM-FM/CFOX-FM, and then stations such as CFNY-FM and KROQ-FM, and now with NYTheSpirit the song libraries are vast, none of us will like every song...BUT we mostly know that the next song will take us to a wonderful place.

Everyone knows music is subjective. Influenced by personal feelings, tastes, or opinions. Or even the time of day or the weather. At NYTheSpirit we do everything possible to assure a smooth and fascinating trip throughout each 24 hour day. Additionally we don't believe the same songs need to be played over and over.

But - I know I'm preaching to the choir. Thanks and never be shy about telling us your thoughts. Each one is considered and acted upon. :D
Marsbar
Stage Manager

Postby makaturing » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:21 pm

Well, David, I was going to accuse you of overplaying the song, but I thought that might be unfair.

Obviously the song stands out in my mind when I hear it, because I dislike it. So I thought maybe I was overreacting by feeling the song had been played to death. But I did a little research....

Now before I post the results, I want to say this: it is excruciatingly painful for me to post criticism of someone I love and admire so much. It goes against the grain, and it ties my stomach in knots. David Marsden stands alone at the head of the pack when it comes to bringing music to people.

No one has done more to promote Canadian artists. No one has done more to bring obscure and rare music to the forefront. No one fought harder to prevent radio from losing its relevance. That battle was lost, unfortunately, but David Marsden was still standing on the deck when the ship slipped under the waves.

Every weekend when we listen to NY, at some point I say to my girlfriend, "We are so lucky to have this guy playing this music for us", and she rolls her eyes skyward and says, "I know, you say that every weekend."

She's from a different country and had never heard of CHUM-FM, CFNY, or David Marsden. But she knows now!

So, having said all that, with great trepidation I am going to post the list of dates when "Let It Happen" was played on the live show.

May 21
May 7
April 23
April 2
March 19
Feb 27
Jan 30
Jan 9
Nov 28
Nov 14
Nov 7
Oct 24
Sept 26
Sept 19
Sept 12
Sept 6
Aug 22
Aug 8
July 19
July 18

Am I being unfair when I think this song has been done to death? All I know is I stopped listening to it and started to hit the <mute> button around the end of September, and the damn thing is still around eight months later.

And that's all I'm going to say about "Let It Happen".

Of course we know the next song up will be better. That's the beauty of it all. A week ago I spent a full day doing yard work while wearing headphones and listening to the stream, and I don't think I heard a bad song all day. Those are pretty good odds.

Thanks for all you do, David. 8-)
makaturing
Usher

Postby Marsbar » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:09 pm

Thanks for your kind words. Thank you also for the research you put into this question of over-play. We pride ourselves in not playing the same song in a 24 hour period - date to date. Sometimes I do get caught up in a song and, as it seems is the case here - over-play that one.

Point taken.

But - I do also have to say that sometimes that is the result of requests coming in by e-mail.

Your words are appreciated. I believe constructive criticism can be good.
Marsbar
Stage Manager

Postby makaturing » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:56 pm

Believe me, I agonized over posting that stuff. Gave me a very unsettled feeling. I mean, it's your forum, it's your web site, and it's your radio program.

It's kinda like getting invited to a fancy dinner party and then telling the hostess her drapes suck.

Some things are just not done in polite society. :o

Anyway, since I know you're a fan of this band, I wanted to point out there are two live Tame Impala performances available right now on BBC iPlayer.

Look for them on "Later... With Jools Holland" and also "BBC Radio 1's Big Weekend".
makaturing
Usher

Postby yanawa5678 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:30 am

At least it made an impression ;)
sbo โปรโมชั่น
yanawa5678
Head Usher

Return to Just Stuff