Bowie Art Collection Revealed For The First Time

A cornucopia of what doesn't fit anywhere else - post away.

Bowie Art Collection Revealed For The First Time

Postby Marsbar » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:36 pm

DAVID BOWIE'S life as a collector was something he kept almost entirely hidden from public view.
But now, nearly 300 works by artists including Damien Hirst, Henry Moore and Marcel Duchamp will go on display at Sotheby's in London, before being sold at auction in November.

The paintings are collectively expected to fetch more than £10m.

"David Bowie's collection offers a unique insight into the personal world of one of the 20th Century's greatest creative spirits," said Oliver Barker, chairman of Sotheby's Europe.

Most of the works are by 20th Century British artists, with pictures by Stanley Spencer, Patrick Caulfield and Peter Lanyon.

Born and raised in South London, David Bowie was also drawn to chroniclers of the capital's streets such as Leon Kossoff and Frank Auerbach.

In 1998 Bowie told the New York Times, "My God, yeah - I want to sound like that looks," in response to the work of Auerbach.

He was also fascinated by British landscapes and collected works by artists including John Virtue. Seven of his monochrome works are included in the sale.

But the broad ranging collection is not limited to British art. Among the more maverick works is a piece by Duchamp - A Bruit Secret - in which he placed a ball of string between two brass plates, with an unknown object hidden in the middle. It is expected to fetch up to £250,000.

The stereo cabinet is among the furniture owned by Bowie which will be auctioned

As well as 267 paintings, more than 120 items of 20th Century furniture and sculpture will also be auctioned. Among them, a striking 1960s stereo cabinet created by the Italian designers Achille and Pier Giacomo Castiglioni.

Perhaps it should come as no surprise that Bowie listened to music on such an unconventional record player.

Proceeds from the sale will go to Bowie's family. Although lack of space, not money, is the reason they have decided to sell.
Marsbar
Stage Manager

Re: Bowie Art Collection Revealed For The First Time

Postby miss_parker » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:09 pm

I'm having trouble with this. Call me a sentimental fool, but I think it's too soon and find it a bit heartless. The art meant a lot to Mr. Bowie, and subsequently, I would think it would mean a lot to the family, as well. I stated as much on FB and had one person disagree, and I am sure there are many others who don't share my opinion, but that's OK. I think his legacy would have been better served to loan out the artwork to museums who would have been ecstatic to have it for public view. JMHO. xo

PS - I just ran into a GoFundMe page for someone trying to raise 13M to buy the collection. He has 10 dollars so far. My word, just when you think you've heard/seen it all....
I, I will be king
And you, you will be queen
Though nothing will drive them away
We can be Heroes, just for one day

~Heroes~ David Bowie
miss_parker
Stage Manager

Return to Just Stuff