Finding Parking in Downtown Toronto

A cornucopia of what doesn't fit anywhere else - post away.

Finding Parking in Downtown Toronto

Postby MoodyBlue » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:08 pm

Hi everyone

Parking in Toronto can be at first glance very expensive, but keep in mind that if there are two or more of you on the trip, public transit is not cheap either. The round trip for two on the TTC is $12.00 to $14.00.
So unless you are not too keen on driving in down town Toronto, here is a website that shows where the parking lots are, and how much it will cost.

http://en.parkopedia.ca/parking/mccaul_dundas/

Cheers

John
MoodyBlue
Light Tech Manager

Re: Finding Parking in Downtown Toronto

Postby Marsbar » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:03 pm

If I can reach my destination by easy TTC - I will always make that choice in the city. The new streetcars are very cool (air conditioned) and the subway is fine out of peak hours.

Parking and driving are both difficult in the summer. Plus I get to meet folks....

I also use Uber

Marsbar
Stage Manager

Postby MoodyBlue » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:40 am

Hi David

Actually, if we could ban cars from the Downtown core I think that it would be a great idea. If I lived in Toronto or within ten miles of it, I would take the better way too.

But consider the person coming in from Guelph. Like poor ole me :) . It is a long journey by GO train and we would have to travel down to Burlington to get on the Lakeshore line. That is 45 minutes travel just to get to the train.

Yesterday for the Bryan Ferry concert, we drove into Toronto, but had to bail off the 401 at Erin Mills Parkway, taking the 407 to 427 and I could see that the 401 was a parking lot in Toronto.

Thankfully the 427 Gardiner was moving and we got to the parking garage close to Massey Hall just around noon as we planned. Had a great day in Toronto, went to the concert, but coming home -- one hour after the concert ended, we were at the 401 and highway 6 heading into Guelph, we were home by midnight. But It would have taken 20 minutes just to get to Union Station if we came by GO train.

The day time mess that GTA traffic is in indicates that we blew it and we should have kept the right of way that the Guelph Radial Railway had many years ago and use it to create a better way of travelling into Toronto. The Milton to Kipling station line is so under utilised, it borders on gross stupidity, that is another story. Let's bring back those single car commuter trains (dayliners??) for a start.

I like the new streetcars too, but still, the old PCC streetcars have a charm all of their own. :)

Cheers

John
MoodyBlue
Light Tech Manager

Postby Marsbar » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:25 am

Every Sunday this old streetcar runs from The Exhibition to Union Station all day. Seeing it one realizes how very small it was.

There is no charge to ride and it get a lot of attention. I'm always amazed how many folks with cameras are out capturing it as it moves along the rails.

Air Conditioning? No. Really tiny windows? Yes.

Marsbar
Stage Manager

Return to Just Stuff