Rush In The Limelight At RNC

A cornucopia of what doesn't fit anywhere else - post away.

Rush In The Limelight At RNC

Postby Marsbar » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:32 pm

Reprinted from FYI Music News

The only Rush initially expected to feature at the Republican National Convention in Cleveland this week was Rush Limbaugh, reported to have almost been Donald Trump’s choice as running mate.

Last Tuesday, however, Canadian rock heroes Rush became part of the action when the house band at the RNC circus launched into a version of Rush classic “Limelight.” The social media response from Rush fans was rapid, and almost universally negative. One tweeted example, from Timothy Bednarz: : The horrible cover band at the RNC right now is butchering Rush's 'Limelight.' To quote Trump, "You're Fired!" #RNCinCL"

The website theatlantic.com pointed out that some of the lyrics in “Limelight” were fitting for the occasion: “Cast in this unlikely role, Ill-equipped to act, With insufficient tact, One must put up barriers, To keep oneself intact..."

By coincidence, FYI yesterday interviewed Pegi Cecconi of SRO/Anthem (for an upcoming Industry Profile), a crucial figure in Rush’s rise from bar band to Rock and Roll Hall of Famers. She brought up the topic, noting that “after some cover band did ‘Limelight,’ I must have got 20 phone calls and 100 e-mails from Rush fans, pointing this out. They were completely outraged. Twelve hours later, I get something from Geddy [Lee] – ‘take it down, pull it down, get rid of it.’

I got back to him, saying ‘it has been on there for 12 hours. Just so you know, it is a cover band and they can claim it is their federal right. There is nothing we can do.’

But the thing with Queen is that they used the recording. Then you can stop them. Brian May got on it right away, but we couldn’t do it, because it was not a use of the recording.”

Cecconi was referring to the fact that when Donald Trump took to the stage of the RNC in triumph on Tuesday night, Queen hit “We Are The Champions” blared out. Queen guitarist Brian May was not amused, writing on his website that “This is not an official Queen statement, but I can confirm that permission to use the track was neither sought nor given. We are taking advice on what steps we can take to ensure this use does not continue.”

“Regardless of our views on Mr Trump’s platform, it has always been against our policy to allow Queen music to be used as a political campaigning tool. Our music embodies our own dreams and beliefs, but it is for all who care to listen and enjoy.”

May also added that “I will make sure we take what steps we can to dissociate ourselves from Donald Trump’s unsavoury campaign.”

REM singer Michael Stipe didn’t mix words last year when Trump used REM hit "It’s the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)" at a rally. Stipe’s response: “Go fuck yourselves, the lot of you – you sad, attention-grabbing, power-hungry little men. Do not use our music or my voice for your moronic charade of a campaign.”

Neil Young, meanwhile, responded to Trump’s use of his anthem "Rockin’ in the Free World" when he announced he was standing for the presidency by saying: “Had I been asked to allow my music to be used for a candidate, I would have said no.” Last month, the Bernie Sanders supporter took a more conciliatory line on Trump, saying: “He actually got a licence to use it. I mean, he said he did and I believe him. So I got nothing against him. You know, once the music goes out, everybody can use it for anything. But if the artist who made it is saying you never spoke to them, if that means something to you, you probably will stop playing it. And it meant something to Donald and he stopped.”

According to The Guardian, Trump’s team “claimed to have made an agreement with the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers for the right to play the track from his 1989 album Freedom.”
Marsbar
Stage Manager

Re: Rush In The Limelight At RNC

Postby Marsbar » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:36 pm

...and the lyrics(they seem quite unusual when heard on the Trump Stage) by Neil Peart are:

Living on a lighted stage
Approaches the unreal
For those who think and feel
In touch with some reality
Beyond the gilded cage

Cast in this unlikely role
Ill-equipped to act
With insufficient tact
One must put up barriers
To keep oneself intact

Living in the limelight
The universal dream