Stuart McLean Dead At 68

A cornucopia of what doesn't fit anywhere else - post away.

Stuart McLean Dead At 68

Postby Marsbar » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:14 pm

Stuart McLean, bestselling author, humorist and host of CBC Radio's The Vinyl Cafe, died on February 15 at the age of 68, just over a year after his skin cancer diagnosis. McLean suspended his radio show in December 2016 to focus on cancer treatment.

For 40 years, McLean told stories on the radio. He began his career making documentaries for CBC Radio's Sunday Morning. In 1979, he won an ACTRA award for his work on a documentary about the Jonestown massacre.

McLean published 10 books based on stories broadcast on The Vinyl Cafe. Three of them, Secrets from the Vinyl Cafe, Home from the Vinyl Cafe and Vinyl Cafe Unplugged, won the Stephen Leacock Memorial Medal for Humour, Canada's most prestigious prize for humour writing.

Starting in 1998, McLean took The Vinyl Cafe across the country, regaling live audiences with classic holiday stories like "Dave Cooks the Turkey."

After winning the Stephen Leacock Medal for the first time in 1999, McLean made a humble confession on CBC-TV, saying "I don't understand at all what it is I do or why the stories are funny."

He added, "A good story is a story that, if someone left before telling you the end, you would be apoplectic... What happens next? Go on!"
Marsbar
Stage Manager

Re: Stuart McLean Dead At 68

Postby kosmo » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:33 am

I shall cook a turkey in memoriam.
kosmo
Head Usher

Re: Stuart McLean Dead At 68

Postby Sunbeam » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:22 am

Dabbing gravy on the lightbulbs...
Sigh
Sunbeam