The Hardrock is toast

A cornucopia of what doesn't fit anywhere else - post away.

The Hardrock is toast

Postby kosmo » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:34 am

The Dundas square location of the Hardrock Cafe will close in May due to zooming rent. Unconfirmed report says it will be replaced by a Shoppers Drugmart, the Tim Hortons of Drug stores.
*sigh*
kosmo
Head Usher

Re: The Hardrock is toast

Postby Jupiter » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:54 am

This is such sad news. Down at Yonge Dundas square the last few time I felt that The Hardrock was the only real place in the area. Now it gets to be another SDM.
Yonge St is going to be re-worked in the near future. I feel this change will be a big impact.
http://www.ryerson.ca/news-events/news/ ... ge-street/
Jupiter
Usher

Postby Marsbar » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:58 pm

Live venues closing is a very sad situation. We hear that - it too often has something to do with rent increases. Unfortunately, Commercial Land Lords are that. Lords. They will continue at every opportunity to raise rents or if the price is right - sell the building and its land.

However I see another reason. People are staying away from live venues, often a direct result of folks getting a little older. Life style changes. And much more. Empty rooms spell disaster. And then there are those crowds standing outside the clubs while they have a smoke.

Once upon a time one would have a smoke while drinking another beer or whatever. The club would sell more product, permitting them to make a little more money. I'm not suggesting anyone should stop smoking (that a personal decision) but it is costing clubs a lot of lost revenue.

A half empty room, people not drinking as much, both lead to live venue closures.

As one feels sad about the closings one must also dim that sadness if one hasn't been out there at least once a week supporting the club and the artist.

One final thought - we are living in a time when clubs have found other ways to attract customers. IE: DJs - Karaoke - etc. As with all things live venues will make a return but they will look different and perhaps even sound different.
Marsbar
Stage Manager

Postby Jupiter » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:29 pm

unfortunately this doesn't count the lack of funds. Oh how I wish I could enable bands and venues, but instead I give what little I have to Marsden Global. I want to do more, but I cannot.
Jupiter
Usher

Postby Marsbar » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:51 pm

Of course everyone understands that Kosmo.

I think it's true of everyone involved with MarsdenGlobal and NYTheSpirit. I know with NY we are getting a lot of music out there that most others are missing. And each of the DJs also do their part in the promotion of music and artists.

We each appreciate each others contributions. I hope.
Marsbar
Stage Manager

Postby Marsbar » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:35 am

...and now it's gone.

We all had such fab birthday parties at the Hard Rock. But - nothing is permanent but change. It's been that way forever. Of course if change didn't happen we would all still be sitting on the floor in diapers.

Oh wait - some may be. :-)

BTW - I was invited to the big party for the last Hard Rock industry party. It was excellent! dm
Marsbar
Stage Manager

Return to Just Stuff