Rufus Wainwright

A cornucopia of what doesn't fit anywhere else - post away.

Rufus Wainwright

Postby Marsbar » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:20 pm

Rufus Wainwright Plots Orchestral Show for Cuban Fan Experience

Rufus Wainwright unveiled plans for an eclectic fan experience, "Wainwright Libre," in Havana, Cuba. During the four-night event, scheduled September 21st to 25th, the singer-songwriter will perform two concerts: a private, solo show and a public event featuring a full orchestra and local musicians.

In a statement announcing the endeavor, Wainwright praised the country's culture and expressed his excitement about the orchestral collaboration. "I've played with orchestras all over the world, and it's a very powerful experience that I'm excited to try in Havana," he said. "Cuba is a complete and utter revelation in terms of its historical treasures, vibrant presence and interesting future."
"I can't wait to explore this amazing culture with you," he wrote on the event's official website. "I think it's important to remain open and proactive about sharing who we are as a society, engaging in cultural exchanges, learning about other people, and really enhancing America's reputation as ambassadors."

The guest list for the orchestral show includes singer-songwriter Carlos Varela, the subject of HBO Latina documentary The Poet of Havana, and a previous collaborator with artists like Dave Matthews and Jackson Browne.

"The Rufus in Havana" website details the entire fan experience, which includes cigar and rum tastings, rhumba and salsa dance parties, visits with Cuban visual artists, additional concerts from local musicians and a Cuban music workshop led by Interactivo's Roberto Carcasses.
Marsbar
Stage Manager

Return to Just Stuff