Bill Wyman slams Jagger & Richards

A cornucopia of what doesn't fit anywhere else - post away.

Bill Wyman slams Jagger & Richards

Postby Marsbar » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:02 pm

Bill Wyman slams Jagger & Richards for not giving Brian Jones his due...

Former Rolling Stones bassist Bill Wyman has taken time out to defend long dead band founder Brian Jones, and accuse Mick Jagger and Keith Richards of stealing his glory over the years. Wyman is currently doing the rounds publicizing his first new solo album in 33 years called, Back To Basics, which will be released on June 30th. During an interview with ClashMusic.com, Wyman was asked about the fact that Jagger and Richards both stayed away from Jones’ funeral nearly 46 years ago. Jones drowned on July 3rd, 1969 at age 27 under suspicious circumstances, only weeks after being fired by the Stones following two years of drug and legal problems.

Wyman lasted out at the “Glimmer Twins” for not paying the proper respects to Jones, who created the band and was the architect of its original vision, saying, “The only ones to come were me and Charlie (Watts). There were a lot of peripheral people around the Stones that never turned up. No, it was disgusting. It really was disgusting. It was awful. It showed guilt. It showed the guilt by them of the way they treated him. Do you know that in Dartford Railway Station where (Mick and Keith) met, they’ve just put up a plaque now saying they created The Rolling Stones, which is totally out of order. I’ve had a few friends write to them and complain, saying: ‘It’s totally out of order. Brian Jones created the Rolling Stones, not Mick and Keith. They were invited into his band at later times,’ and they completely ignore it, because they want the accolade for Dartford."

He went on to say: “It’s so wrong, and I hate stuff like that, where people try to rewrite history for themselves. It’s so wrong. I was thinking of getting a couple of heavies and going down there and just ripping it off, and getting back on the train back to London. I’ve really been thinking about the possibility of doing it, because it’s so wrong. . . Mick and Keith should stand up and say, ‘No, this is wrong. We didn’t create the Rolling Stones, Brian Jones did. Brian Jones chose the name the Rolling Stones, Brian Jones decided what music we would play, and Brian Jones enlisted every member into his band in 1962 and ’63.’ That’s what they should say, but they ain’t going to, are they?”

Although Keith Richards has been known to be blunt when describing Brian Jones' horrible attitude around those closest to him as the 1960's progressed, he's the first to admit that Jones' musical prowess pushed the band's aural boundaries: “Brian would be able to walk into a studio and no matter what instrument was lying around, even though he’d never played it before, he would. . . he’d be able to knock something out of it, very, very quickly, y’know? Hence, we used to use vibraphones and stuff -- mainly just because they were lying around the studio -- and everybody thought ‘What a wonderful bit of orchestration,’ but it was sheer accident and Brian’s ability to be able to get something out of an instrument.”

Fast Facts:

Brian Jones played a pivotal role in the Rolling Stones' success, with his blond hair and good looks, as well as his ability to play any instrument seemingly within minutes of picking it up.

Jones, although uncredited, co-wrote and played the recorders and cello on "Ruby Tuesday," sitar and tamboura on "Paint It, Black," dulcimer on "I Am Waiting" and "Lady Jane," the lead guitar riff on "Get Off My Cloud," harpsichord on "Yesterday's Papers," the trumpet and trombone on "Something Happened To Me Yesterday," the marimba on "Under My Thumb," and the autoharp on "You Got The Silver."

Did you know?

As part of his agreement to quit the Rolling Stones, Brian Jones was offered a settlement, which gave him a lump sum of nearly $200,000, as well as a yearly salary of $40,000 for as long as the band stayed together.

He was also allowed to issue a statement saying that he had quit the band. He then reportedly tried to form a supergroup with John Lennon, who had stayed friendly with Jones after his firing.
Marsbar
Stage Manager

Return to Just Stuff