Tardis?

A cornucopia of what doesn't fit anywhere else - post away.

Tardis?

Postby Big Ears Teddy » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:02 am

PLEASE stop playing this.
Big Ears Teddy
Head Usher

Re: Tardis?

Postby Marsbar » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:31 am

Not sure what you mean Big Ears. Can you clarify? Thanks. dm
Marsbar
Stage Manager

Postby Sunbeam » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:52 am

:lol:
Sunbeam
Sound Tech Manager

Postby Marsbar » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:09 am

OH wait - do you mean Dr. Who? Sure. But we do get a lot of requests. BTW - in the stream it only plays like once in every 15 - 20 days.

But I can stop playing it in my show. :-)

But I do have to tell you something from behind the scenes in radio stations. Each time someone asks the radio programmers to not play something they said - OK. After a few years, all they had left were about 200 songs.

And today most radio stations just play that same 200 songs over and over and over.

We hope you don't want us to sound like that. :-)
Marsbar
Stage Manager

Postby Big Ears Teddy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:50 pm

After a few years, all they had left were about 200 songs....And today most radio stations just play that same 200 songs over and over and over.

I absolutely agree with you, and I would suggest it's less than 200 songs. But I haven't listened to commercial radio for years anyway.

But here's the thing, David. Please don't take this personally, because I love you like a brother, and I respect your achievements, but some criticism is due you...

You say they are playing the same songs over and over, but you are doing the same thing!

The only difference is they are playing crap like Taylor Swift and Katy Perry and you are playing GOOD music. You are still playing the same 200 songs over and over.

Can I give examples? How about "Skin Deep"? I have heard this so many times on your show, it's gone into the "Stairway To Heaven" bin. Instant mute button. How about "Brilliant"? Same deal.

How about "Caught Out In The Rain"? How about that SRV live version of "Little Wing"?

How about Procul Harum's nautical stuff?

How about Barclay James Harvest's live track? The first time I heard it, I said, "wow, haven't heard this in decades. Great stuff". Now, when I hear it it's, "yawn, not this again".

These are all fabulous songs, but how many weekends are you going to play them?

Here is my take on the Marsden weekend shows....

DM has 100,000 songs scattered around his condo, but they are not indexed, as he freely admits. So he keeps a box of his "go-to" CDs on the end of his desk, and each weekend he rummages around in the box and pulls out a string of tunes. Somehow that becomes a radio show, and DM has a lot of experience and is good at his job.

But there are only 200 CDs in that box, and when you keep going to the box for years, you are going to get repetition.

Here is what I would like to see...

DM, take that box and dump it out, and refill the box with new CDs. You have thousands to choose from. Resolve that the CDs you dumped from the box will not be played for at least two years, and start working your way through the new box.

DUMP THAT BOX, REFILL IT WITH NEW STUFF, AND START OVER, MAN!

Can you do a show without playing Pink Floyd? I share your love for this music, but geez, does every show have to include a Pink Floyd track in the last hour? Is there anyone on this green earth who doesn't own a copy of The Dark Side Of The Moon or Wish You Were Here?

We all own these records and can play them whenever we want. Who needs to hear them on the radio? It is fabulous music, but we need our DJs to play music that nobody has in their collection, not stuff that everyone owns.

Dump the box, man. Follow my advice and you will thank me later.

Best regards, Big Ears
Big Ears Teddy
Head Usher

Postby Contact » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:28 pm

Big Ears Teddy wrote:
...Here is what I would like to see...
Best regards, Big Ears

It's okay, you can open your eyes.

It's more about the trip Teddy, not each step :)
Contact
Bar Manager

Postby Marsbar » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:27 am

Here's my list from last Sunday evening....a lot of the songs you mention are requests. However I take you point and will do my best to improve. BTW - here's last Sunday's list....not much here from what you call my 200 songs.

You are right - I do keep a box of about 200 CDs as "thought starters". BUT - I do refill that box every Friday night with a whole set of new 200 CDs as that weekends "thought starters".

A-ha – Crying In The Rain
Al Stewart – Roads To Moscow
Beach Boys – Kokomo
Beth Hart – Caught Out In The Rain
Blackmore’s Night – Rainbow Eyes
Brandon Flowers – Can’t Deny My Love
Bruce Cockburn – 3 Al Purdy’s
Cherry Poppin’ Daddies – Zoot Suit Riot
Concrete Blonde – Bloodletting (The Vampire Song)
Crosby, Stills & Nash – Dark Star
David Bowie – Sound + Vision (David Richards 1991 remix)
Dee Long – Good Night Universe - Good Night Theme
Delerium – Daylight
Duran Duran – The Chauffeur
Econoline Crush – All That You Are (X3; Boomtang extended mix)
Elliott Murphy – Anastasia
Eric Clapton – Change The World
Eric Clapton – Wonderful Tonight (live)
Fleece – Under The Light
Frank Zappa – I’m The Slime
Gary Moore – Still Got The Blues (live)
Jonathan King – Everyone’s Gone To The Moon
Jon & Vangelis – The Friends Of Mr. Cairo
Jordan Waller – Let You Down
Lucas Silveira – I’m Your Man
Mark Knopfler – The Lights Of Taormina
Moody Blues – Isn’t Life Strange
Peter Frampton – Lines On My Face
Peter Gabriel/Kate Bush – Don’t Give Up
Pink Floyd – Wish You Were Here (alt. mix featuring Stephane Grapelli) OK there is Floyd you're talking about - BUT it is a new mix. I think that makes it worthy.
Rob Stuart – A Beautiful Thing - Show Open Theme
Rod Stewart – Country Comfort
Roy Orbison/k.d. lang – Crying
Slave To The SQUAREwave – Starrs
Spoken Word – Reefer Madness
Stevie Ray Vaughan and friends – Little Wing (live) OMG - There it is! Finally a song I play too much! But then it was a request.
Stranglers – Peaches
Timmy Jay – Dread Not
Tom Robinson – Atmospherics: Listen To The Radio
Traffic – Low Spark Of High-Heeled Boys - Again this was a different mix from what one here's elsewhere
Wallflowers – One Headlight
War On Drugs – Holding On
Wolf Parade – Lazarus Online

BTW - the 200 CDs in the Thought Starter box - each haveabout 15 songs and ALL are by different artists. I do it this way to force myself away from those automatic mixes that sometimes cloud my mind.

Big Ears - I want you to know I really do put forth a lot of extra effort to make my shows different each week.
Marsbar
Stage Manager

Postby MoodyBlue » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:43 pm

Hey everyone,

I like this station because it is the only place I can hear Pink Floyd uncut, along with the Moody Blues and other Prog Rock bands. Plus, David has stuck some great new music in my ears, music that we do not hear anyplace else. Mixed in a way that does not happen anywhere.

David, what you are doing is great by me.

Best,

John Kerr
MoodyBlue
Light Tech Manager

Postby Marsbar » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:33 am

Just for the record - Big Ears and others do make some valid points. And yes - I do listen/read. When change is necessary or when I can extend my music presentation I do.

But sometimes change comes slowly and I always hope there will be patience. Sometimes its just a matter of finding and getting the music.

As I have said before - traditional radio programmers seem to believe listeners are listening with one hand on the OFF button. That leads them to play only music no one has complained about. And that's how they got to a meagre 200 songs over and over. I have fought against those tight playlists all my life.....and I'm not about to stop now.

That's why one can listen to the stream for almost 2 days and not hear the same song twice.

That's also why the DJs are totally Free Form. Each of them can take us wherever they want to take us on their musical journey.

Admittedly it's now for everyone. But if you have friends who love music but complain that traditional radio is no good - OR - there's no good music anymore - invite them to have a listen to NYTheSpirit.com.

They just might thank you.
Marsbar
Stage Manager

Return to Just Stuff