Eric Clapton

A cornucopia of what doesn't fit anywhere else - post away.

Eric Clapton

Postby Marsbar » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:22 am

Eric Clapton 'struggles to play guitar'

Rock star Eric Clapton has said damage to his nervous system is making it difficult to play the guitar.

The acclaimed musician told Classic Rock magazine he "can still play" but added it was "hard work".

"I've had quite a lot of pain over the last year. It started with lower back pain, and turned into what they call peripheral neuropathy.

"[It's] hard work to play the guitar and I've had to come to terms with the fact that it will not improve."

But he added that given his life had been fraught with addiction "I consider it a great thing to be alive at all".

"By rights I should have kicked the bucket a long time ago," said the 71-year-old star, who recently released his 23rd studio album, I Still Do.

Clapton achieved global fame in the 1970s with acclaimed songs including Crossroads and Layla, but his widely-acknowledged talent was tainted by addiction, first to heroin and later to alcohol and prescription drugs.

"I don't know how I survived - the Seventies especially," said Clapton. "For some reason I was plucked from the jaws of hell and given another chance."
Marsbar
Stage Manager

Return to Just Stuff