Eclipse

A cornucopia of what doesn't fit anywhere else - post away.

Eclipse

Postby Marsbar » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:02 am

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP) - North and South America, get ready for the first eclipse of the year- in color.

Next Tuesday morning, the moon will be eclipsed by Earth's shadow. This total lunar eclipse will be visible across the Western Hemisphere. The total phase will last 78 minutes, beginning at 3:06 a.m. EDT and ending at 4:24 a.m. EDT.

The moon will be rising in the western Pacific, and so only the last half of the eclipse will be visible there. In much of Europe and Africa, the moon will be setting, so there won't be much, if anything, to see.

Even though the moon is in the Earth's shadow, it should appear a bit colorful, some shade of red or orange. That's from light around the edges of the Earth - essentially sunrises and sunsets - splashing on the lunar surface and faintly lighting up the moon, said Alan MacRobert, senior editor at Sky & Telescope magazine.
Marsbar
Stage Manager

Re: Eclipse

Postby Contact » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:43 am

Couldn't see a thing because of bad weather. Seems normal for this relentless winter even though it's apparently spring already.
There's another eclipse later this year (October?) so hopefully it won't be snowing then.
Contact
Bar Manager

Postby Marsbar » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:33 pm

On the night of the great eclipse, one couldn't see the tops of towering buildings in the city. But last night the full moon lit the lake as a shimmering glass ball. What a view we would have had of that eclipse.

Yes - I am disappointed. But that doesn't mean I want to hurry toward October. :) But a Fall eclipse following a LONG summer will have me watching the skies.
Marsbar
Stage Manager

Postby Redruby » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:13 pm

it was so cloudy :( but I watched it online. was beautiful! Wished I could have watched it in person but still!!!! :D
Redruby
Bar Manager

Return to Just Stuff