Tor Browser

A cornucopia of what doesn't fit anywhere else - post away.

Tor Browser

Postby Contact » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:06 am

A friend of mine uses this browser for online banking.
Tor Browser Bundle

Tor was originally designed, implemented, and deployed as a third-generation onion routing project of the U.S. Naval Research Laboratory. It was originally developed with the U.S. Navy in mind, for the primary purpose of protecting government communications. Today, it is used every day for a wide variety of purposes by normal people, the military, journalists, activists, and many others. Law enforcement uses Tor for visiting or surveilling web sites without leaving government IP addresses in their web logs, and for security during sting operations.

Tor is a network of virtual tunnels that allows people and groups to improve their privacy and security on the Internet.

Tor also enables software developers to create new communication tools with built-in privacy features. Tor provides the foundation for a range of applications that allow organizations and individuals to share information over public networks without compromising their privacy.

Tor can't solve all anonymity problems. It focuses only on protecting the transport of data. You need to use protocol-specific support software if you don't want the sites you visit to see your identifying information. For example, you can use the Tor Browser Bundle while browsing the web to withhold some information about your computer's configuration.

I'm using Tor to post this is. Because of the virtual tunnels it's a bit sluggish loading pages and since my ip address keeps changing I've had to re-login. I'm not sure how practical it is for everyday use, but Tor is the most unique browser I've come across.
Contact
Bar Manager

Return to Just Stuff