doya wanna be a cable cutter?

A cornucopia of what doesn't fit anywhere else - post away.

doya wanna be a cable cutter?

Postby MoodyBlue » Thu May 01, 2014 8:28 pm

Hi everyone

I belong to a computer club called the Kitchener Waterloo Linux Users Group KWLUG. Recently folks have started to chat about TV reception. This all started with a discussion on making your own antennae.They all live out in the Waterloo area, and here is the report from one of the members about his antennae:

With the Philips SDV8625T antenna, less than 10 ft from the ground, I am getting these channels all the time.

Real Virtual Call Sign Network
20 5 CBLT CBC Toronto
17 6 CIII Global
13 13 CKCO CTV
25 25 CBLTF CBC Toronto French
28 28 CICO TVO
36 36 CITS From Hamilton

And this one comes in most of the time.
15 11 CHCH From Hamilton

This one is not consistent.
35 35 CHCJ CTV 2 Barrie

I was getting them all before I put in the mast, which moved it for a foot or so and the height and orientation changed as well. This is not the end of it though, the antenna will be adjusted again when I get the permanent cable for it and run it through the house instead of across the lawn.

Your DB8 + CM7777 are just getting two more from Toronto: Omni 1 (channel 40) and 2 (Ch 47). I do see a weak signal for them, as well as 32 from Buffalo (WLNO), but not enough for the TV to tune any of those three channels.

This tells me the Philips is a good antenna, for $90 total price (no separate pre-amp), and a great antenna for $50 when its on sale.

--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.
Fast Reliable Drupal
Drupal optimization, development, customization and consulting.
Simplicity is prerequisite for reliability. -- Edsger W.Dijkstra
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. -- Leonardo da Vinci
For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H.L. Mencken
MoodyBlue
Light Tech Manager

Re: doya wanna be a cable cutter?

Postby Marsbar » Fri May 02, 2014 12:44 am

For the past month or so I've really been considering dropping my service and going with OTA or something brought in on WiFi. Been reading a lot about it and with the help of Igor making some advances.

I interested to hear about your work in this area . Have you done any research on the WiFi or IPTV? Also I've watched a few YouTube vids on the subject. One of which was Canadian and the guy seemed to be able to get a lot of TV and specialty, including NetFlix.

Your thoughts?
Marsbar
Stage Manager

Postby kosmo » Fri May 02, 2014 7:18 am

David;
Glomum with an old style TV array on a tower(no Rotor) gets all the Toronto stations,all the Buffalo, and CHEX. I suspect that with a rotor she could get Barrie too. She lives near the Rock tower.
kosmo
Head Usher

Postby Marsbar » Fri May 02, 2014 2:21 pm

Thanks.

I live in a high rise condo and antennae are not permitted on the building's outside, including my balcony. My friend, who lives in a different building, has put an antennae on his balcony and it works quite well.

I've also been reading lately - the CRTC is considering permitting the TV outlets to do away with OTA service. I can't imagine that ever happening, but if it did - it would probably be a long way into the future.
Marsbar
Stage Manager

Postby MoodyBlue » Sun May 11, 2014 6:07 pm

I have been "lurking" on this topic. According to the tvfool website I may not get too many stations if I did get an antennae. Those of you closer to the lake Ontario would get better results.

I know of a lady in downtown TO who switched to an indoor antennae and she is vey happy with the number of stations she gets.

There is a forum that may be worth looking at here: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthr ... ota+indoor

Cheers

John
MoodyBlue
Light Tech Manager

Return to Just Stuff