Strawberry Audio Player

A cornucopia of what doesn't fit anywhere else - post away.

Strawberry Audio Player

Postby MoodyBlue » Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:07 pm

Hello everyone:

When considering "quality" what we may or may not hear when we are listening to music can depend on many things. This is so true when we are comparing stereo systems, speakers and turntables. The degree of quality of one over the other can be so dependent on many things too. When we toss in audio player software into the mix it can get complicated.

My friend Ken Starks posted an article on Facebook about the music player "Strawberry". Ken is an audiophile, and free software guru, so when he posted on Facebook that the Strawberry audio player is "most excellent. and It offers features not found in paid-for software players" I had to try it. He is a fan of the Moody Blues too!!!

Strawberry is a fork of Clementine, an app that has not been maintained for a couple of years. A new group took the source code, updated and improved it. That is the way Free Libre Open Source Software works. We win. Strawberry is named after the progrock group "Strawbs".

Installed, fetched a new URL from the NYtheSpirit player and logged in. First impression is that it is delivering fabulous sound.
I do not want to get into any comparison of audio players, they all have their merits and as always, YMMV. Strawberry is a free download from https://strawberrymusicplayer.org/#. So far, I am impressed.

The software displays album art when available, plus the name of artist and song. There is tab labeled "Context" hit that and if the lyrics are available they will be displayed. This may not work during the DJ shows though.

I am looking forward to trying Strawberry on my Raspberry Pi. At this moment Strawberry is installed on a four year old Dell desktop. There are versions for Linux, Mac and that Windows thing.

Update: I tested Clementine and Strawberry listening to the same song on nythespirit (stop one start the other, repeat) and yes, Strawberry is better.

Is Strawberry better than the nythespirti.com player? No, both are about the same excellent quality. If you are listening to music other than Nythespirit on your computer, you may want to give Strawberry a try.
MoodyBlue
Light Tech Manager

Return to Just Stuff