recording in the theatre

A cornucopia of what doesn't fit anywhere else - post away.

recording in the theatre

Postby shell824 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:10 pm

Is it okay, legal-like, to record the shows ?

I would love to have some of the Christmas Eve shows, as they remind me of Christmas with my Mum and Dad, who have both put on their wings, sadly.

Thanks, eh :D
Prepare to tremble !
shell824
Head Usher

Re: recording in the theatre

Postby Contact » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:05 pm

I'm guessing that recording a radio program that contains material that is available to be sold isn't entirely legal.
Having said that, who's to know what you do in the privacy of your own home. I think. Maybe.

I recorded a part of Marsdens' 1982 Christmas special when he was on CFNY.
When he left CFNY for the west coast, I played it every Christmas Eve on the car ride to and from my parents family Christmas Eve dinner. Both our daughters have mentioned to Laur and I how much that Marsden recording has meant to them. It is a large part of their Christmas memory and has become a "must play" every year.

In fact, a bit of that recording (air check) has made it onto the most excellent CFNY fan site http://www.spiritofradio.ca

Twas The Night Before Christmas:
http://spiritofradio.ca/4C72B/Air%20Che ... istmas.mp3

I could have recorded many of the Marsden Christmas Eve Specials - and other evenings in the theatre that I wanted to personally archive - since he has been broadcast on 94.9
Contact
Bar Manager

Postby happy_pants » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:17 pm

like Contact said - it would be pretty impossible for the authorities to find out ... i mean as long as you're not planning to be selling bootleg copies on the corner ... :shock:
happy_pants
Usher

Postby Marsbar » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:56 am

Yes - as HP has indicated record as you wish. I and the music artists ask only that you don't decide to sell the recordings. There are two shows each year that do not turn into PodCasts for listening during the week. Those shows are: Halloween and Christmas Eve. Like a Christmas song, that one may want to hear - some elements of the Christmas Eve Shows do repeat each year.

I do appreciate what Contact has mentioned about the shows - "It is a large part of their Christmas memory and has become a "must play" every year." That makes me smile. The story I tell on Christmas Eve about the beginnings of The Christmas Eve Shows is true. CHUM-FM - around 1973. However - on the actual date my memory is a little foggy.

And of course each Christmas Eve for the past decade or so we have been able to follow Santa as Happy Pants reports direct from The North Pole. Equally important is the fact the Happy Pants is the ONLY reporter invited to fly in the sleigh with Santa. :-)
Marsbar
Stage Manager

Postby shell824 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:50 am

I would never sell any of the recordings, to be sure. I am anything but a brigand, and I do treasure the Christmas shows, as I always listened to them when I was home for Christmas with my parents and family.

Since they are both away in Heaven now, we won't ever have a family Christmas again, but I still love listening to David the night before.

It's tradition.
Prepare to tremble !
shell824
Head Usher

Postby Sunbeam » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:51 pm

I use the Freecorder plug-in for Firefox or IE to record the shows which aren't podcast. The result is a bunch of smaller mp3 files which can be put together with mp3join.

Christmas Eve with David is a tradition here, too. I rarely listen to the recorded shows, but somehow it's comforting to have them.
Sunbeam
Sound Tech Manager

Return to Just Stuff