Arcade Fire

A cornucopia of what doesn't fit anywhere else - post away.

Arcade Fire

Postby Marsbar » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:18 am

DM - I think perhaps the writer of this article published on Slate - may not have a sense of humor. :-)

Arcade Fire, Please Don’t Ask Me to Wear “Formal Attire” to Your Arena Show
By Megan Wiegand

Digging around Ticketmaster recently for information on Arcade Fire’s upcoming tour, I was braced to battle for megavenue nosebleed seats and to shell out $15-plus for mystery “service charges.” But this caveat caught me off-guard:

Please Note: NIGHT OF SHOW: Please wear formal attire or costume.

Arcade Fire isn’t the first group of rock musicians to impose a dress code. LCD Soundsystem requested fans wear black or white for their final show, Laura Marling told fans to wear black-tie to a special collaborative show, and dressing up for New Year’s Eve or Halloween performances isn’t uncommon. But those aren’t run-of-the-mill tour dates.

And that’s the thing: For most of us, formal attire is reserved for weddings or special nights out. Trying to force otherwise ordinary rock shows into the special category strikes me as presumptuous—an attempt to reinforce the band’s status as capital-A Artists. But Arcade Fire is no longer an indie darling playing intimate general-admission venues: They’re releasing albums that top pop charts and playing arenas named for the likes of Verizon, Pepsi, and Comcast. Asking attendees to dress up might seem to restore an air of specialness to unspecial tour stops at unspecial concrete behemoths that double as ice rinks and basketball courts—but nothing about a routine date in an arena decked out in corporate branding is arty. And demanding that fans old and young scale many flights of steep stairs in ball gowns only to sit in seats possibly soaked with overpriced Bud Light from last night’s hockey game seems less than thoughtful.

Butler and company are known for their earnestness and onstage theatrics—qualities I’ve appreciated in their songs and in live shows at venues both large and small. Nowadays, the band can afford to alienate some fans with requests like their costume mandate—but that doesn’t mean they should. If their music and live shows are good enough, they don’t need fans to play dress-up to make them memorable. And although the dress code surely won’t be enforced (I’d love to see ticket-takers try to turn away attendees whose outfits don’t meet the band’s guidelines for “formal”), it’s still a poor way to repay people for supporting the band’s music.

I haven’t decided if I’ll go to Arcade Fire’s show when the band stops in Washington next year. I love their music, and their past live shows are among the best concerts I’ve seen. But this dress-code gimmick reminds me of Arcade Fire’s graffiti advertising gone wrong from earlier this year. It feels like another misguided attempt by a big band to retain some vestige of their erstwhile smallness. It’s not working.
Marsbar
Stage Manager

Re: Arcade Fire

Postby miss_parker » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:58 pm

I can think of more important things to get my knickers in a knot about. A request for certain attire is not outrageous, and I certainly doubt ticket holders would be turned away. Sheesh--the author needs to lighten up! xo
I, I will be king
And you, you will be queen
Though nothing will drive them away
We can be Heroes, just for one day

~Heroes~ David Bowie
miss_parker
Stage Manager

Postby Marsbar » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:15 pm

I'm sure the band meant it as a joke. And Miss Parker - perhaps those knickers you mention might be an excellent choice to wear if you ever attend an Arcade Fire Concert. Whether you wear them in a knot is up to you. lol :D
Marsbar
Stage Manager

Postby miss_parker » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:51 am

Marsbar wrote:I'm sure the band meant it as a joke. And Miss Parker - perhaps those knickers you mention might be an excellent choice to wear if you ever attend an Arcade Fire Concert. Whether you wear them in a knot is up to you. lol :D

LOL :mrgreen: David!
I, I will be king
And you, you will be queen
Though nothing will drive them away
We can be Heroes, just for one day

~Heroes~ David Bowie
miss_parker
Stage Manager

Postby plutoman » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:25 pm

And Arcade Fire are so eccentric and surreal, they might just want to be able to look out into the audience and see monochromatic....
plutoman
Head Usher

Return to Just Stuff