What were YOU doing when...

A cornucopia of what doesn't fit anywhere else - post away.

What were YOU doing when...

Postby Redruby » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:13 pm

I think this will be fun!

What were you doing the first time you heard The Marsden Theatre? :D :D
Redruby
Bar Manager

Re: What were YOU doing when...

Postby Contact » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:22 pm

The first time i heard of The Theatre was at a party at my parents home in 2004. My brother mentioned to me that David Marsden was back in Ontario and broadcasting out of Oshawa. As excited as i was at this news, it completely left my consciousness. Too much wine and cognac that night I'm guessing.
Weeks later, i independently found The Theatre by other means (which i can't remember) and realized i was already informed of this by my brother. The universe seemed to conspire to make sure i would listen.

The first time i entered the theatre i was trying real hard to bring in Oshawa's waves from a crappy dipole antenna in Orangeville. I tried many different locations and angles to bring in only a few minutes at a time, but what i heard in those spotty moments was enough to rejuvenate my interest in radio.
Déjà vu! I had lost interest in radio in the late 70's/early 80's, but was brought back into the fold by the awesome stuff i heard on The Spirit of Radio.
So, twice in my life i owe David thanks for my continuing love of music on the radio.
Listening to a song that is broadcast is a very different experience from spinning your own tunes privately.
I think maybe i can feel the collective soul?
Contact
Bar Manager

Postby DOsomething » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:54 am

I dont recall exactly what I was doing... but likely channel surfing at home (one THURSDAY night)... high above Cabbagetown... facing east! That's why I still live there... to get this program... LIVE ON AIR. ;) Streaming and podcast just aren't the same... but do in a pinch. Spoiler Alert :o
I DO recall thinking that this radio program really DID broadcast from a theatre, with tons of screaming fans.
DOsomething
Head Usher

Postby MoodyBlue » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:52 pm

I was reading about the history of radio stations on Google, and of course Dave's name came up and I read about the Marsden Theatre somehow. The next weekend I walked into the theatre and kept on coming back.

Cheers

John Kerr
MoodyBlue
Light Tech Manager

Return to Just Stuff