Canada's Biggest Cablers Shed TV Subscribers

A cornucopia of what doesn't fit anywhere else - post away.

Canada's Biggest Cablers Shed TV Subscribers

Postby Marsbar » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:18 pm

Yeah - I can hear y'all crying all the way over here. :-)

Canada's biggest cablers shed more TV subscribers during their latest financial quarters.

The country's major cable operators, reporting their latest financial earnings on Thursday, revealed ongoing cord-cutting as Netflix Canada increasingly dominates online video here.

Shaw Communications reported a 64 percent jump in fourth quarter earnings to CAN$192 million (US$171 million), on revenue up 1 percent to CAN$1.26 billion (US$1.12 billion). But the western Canadian cable giant also shed 20,166 cable customers during the latest quarter, while adding 11,983 Internet subscribers.

And Rogers Communications, the country's largest wireless and cable TV provider, posted profits down 28 percent to CAN$332 million (US$295 million), on revenue up slightly to CAN$3.25 billion (US$2.89 billion). At the same time, Rogers shed 30,000 TV subscribers, while securing 16,000 new Internet customers.

Cable revenues at Rogers dropped to CAN$864 million (US$768 million), against CAN$873 million last year, as the division was hit by promotional pricing to keep cable TV subscribers from leaving.

Seeing their cable divisions threatened by Netflix Canada, rivals Rogers and Shaw recently pacted to launch their own online video portal, Shomi, to launch in November. Netflix Canada has racked up around 4 million Canadian subscribers since launching in September 2010.

The U.S.-based streamer has also taken aim at domestic broadcasters by earlier this week ordering its first original Canadian production, the Jennette McCurdy-starring mini-series Between, by writer/creator Michael McGowan.
Marsbar
Stage Manager

Re: Canada's Biggest Cablers Shed TV Subscribers

Postby MoodyBlue » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:06 pm

I would cut the cable if I could, but where we live I may as well get rid of the TV too.

I wonder how many of those who cut Shaw and Rogers may have gone to Bell? We may never know.
Not that Bell is any better but the companies offer deals to switch.
MoodyBlue
Light Tech Manager

Return to Just Stuff