Stay Curious

A cornucopia of what doesn't fit anywhere else - post away.

Stay Curious

Postby NewGoldDream » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:38 pm

I'm just a delivery guy that writes down a few notes and pieces it together for something to do. These are just a few thoughts of mine that I would like to share, I thank David for allowing me to post here.

A man sits alone in a room for a lifetime playing music and announcing to the audience in a quirky voice “I am here for ya”. He plays many quality and very memorable songs, some quirky and also many that are not often heard anywhere for many years. He chooses good sounding new music and mixes them in with familiar favourites in a good blend of new and old. After a few hours of sharing his music and nearing the end of his show, he makes a plea to audience members. He asks for a hand to touch, and it seems like a plea from a lonely man that is reaching out for something to hold. How can a man so successful and doing this for so many years feel so lonely that he needs my touch?

As a young boy, I found that music was a very important part of my life. I was 4 years old I still remember playing a record over and over in our little room, along with my six siblings. My song was on an old Beatles - Rubber Soul album which was played on a portable record player that the tone arm automatically replayed with the flick of a switch. My favourite song was Girl. I remember it was song #2 which meant I lifted the the tone arm off of the beginning and let it down in the slot, missing the first song.I would let it play through 5 more songs then repeat the process. Looking back now I see the other five songs that played after my favourite.. I'm Looking Through You ... In My Life … Wait ... If I Needed Someone … Run For Your Life … all quality 2-3 minute songs...but my favourite was Girl.

Funny, that at such a young age I had a favourite song, even before I had a favourite number or a favourite colour. What appeals to us all in a song? Sure, the lyrics and rhythm are appealing, but in my opinion I think we use music to help create or reinforce a good, lasting memory. If we can identify with and relate to a song, we will celebrate the new find and even promote it to others as a way to share. It's like a new friendship, you begin to 'own it' and it becomes 'your song'. You will begin to associate it with many good memories and even further relate it to a memorable period in your life. But do these songs expire or do we permanently file them away or retire them to somewhere? I believe we use these good memories to comfort us through the many hardships in our lives. These songs would 'change' as we use them to comfort us and help us get through the healing process. I think that toward the end of this process, a person will be depleted of many good memories and can become so overwhelmed with sorrow. Sorrow comes to you in waves, and not as just one passing feeling. You are alone in this long journey as you heal, and sometimes will be so devastated, you may even feel lost. I have at times have felt lost, and I never had the guidance or knowledge of how to find the correct path to recovery. I think it is through music that we can begin that journey. I think most importantly, you must learn to be receptive to new songs and new music. At that time we are searching for something to help us. We must stay receptive to something that will inspire and comfort us. This is where some wise words can have true meaning...Stay Curious! ... to music, to art, to writings, even hobbies or crafts, anything that can lead to inspiration or great accomplishment.

I think at one time David Marsden may have felt lost. Somehow, I think he reached out and was helped by an extended hand being offered to him and this had a great impact on him. I believe he made a long lasting connection to music at an early age. He learned at a young age that he could make a connection with many other people through this venue. I think this was confirmed when he first began broadcasting. He saw how he could help others make the connection to him and they were grateful and appreciative in showing it. He was encouraged and inspired to set a goal of continuing to help so many others in any way he could. He has never asked for any recognition for all he has done.

Now, back to that lost lonely man. The man on the radio who had his hand out. Upon my discovery of David and all his accomplishments, I was overwhelmed in discovering so much more about him. He's a regular guy and relates very well to all in his chat room, as he joins in many conversations and jokes around with all. I'm finding then that other people are making a very good connection with David as well, they seem to have known him for so many, many years. Has he 'helped' them in some way? Could it be all along that David's confident hand is extending outward to offer comfort and guidance? I think this is the case, as I reached forward and as I made that connection, I was comforted and greeted as a friend. It turns out that I was the lost man, alone and needing some inspiration and encouragement through my healing from loss. I thank you David and your friends in chat, for just being yourselves and allowing me to join in and write a few forum postings. The great new music I am receptive to now and my writing seems to have helped and inspired me. I am enjoying a more rewarding and productive time now in in both my personal life and professional career.

To 'Stay Curious' is good advice that should be followed by everyone. Be receptive through the many hardships we all will face, look into others accomplishments, as I had done regarding David Marsden. Surround yourself with positive people and influences - and you may just find something extraordinary about yourself.

Rick
NGD
Last edited by NewGoldDream on Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick NGD
NewGoldDream
Head Usher

Re: Stay Curious

Postby seanmicley » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:26 am

:)
Last edited by seanmicley on Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
seanmicley
Lobby Attendant

Re: Stay Curious

Postby NewGoldDream » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:25 pm

Sean Micely (pronounced mickley) wrote "It sucks being lonely."

This forum post was for letting people know that we all face challenges alone...I have a very healthy family life and many friends...I try to keep a good attitude and share a positive outlook with people. David has showed me that music is a very powerful thing when shared. I thank all in chat for sharing also.

I met you Sean and your lovely wife, I hope she is at your side and sharing the music while you enjoy this experience with David. Nice to finally shake your hand at the birthday party, and finally put a face to all the other names in chat. Thanks for your encouragement and I'm glad you enjoy reading my posts.

Your friend,

Rick
NGD
Rick NGD
NewGoldDream
Head Usher

Return to Just Stuff