Christmas Eve 2013

A cornucopia of what doesn't fit anywhere else - post away.

Christmas Eve 2013

Postby Marsbar » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:42 pm

It won't be long before Christmas Eve is upon us.

As most of you know, I've been on the air somewhere presenting the Christmas Eve Spectacular since about 1973 or so. Many have written me notes about memorable things that have happened during Christmas Eve. Some of those involved the show and families. Others involved the show, and often came from those spending this special night alone. It should be known how important each of these stores is, and how each has in some way effected the Christmas Eve shows.

Now it's you turn. I've never done this in advance before, but maybe this is the year. Tell me your stories about your Christmas Eve's. Post them here to share. Some of these stories may become an element of this year's Christmas Eve Show. Most post here with pseudonyms and your real name will not be revealed unless you request that be done.

Yes - I really want to hear from you. dm
Marsbar
Stage Manager

Re: Christmas Eve 2013

Postby april_e » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:12 pm

hi marsden,

every christmas eve my family has a little party at our house. we make h'ors d'ourves, drink rye and gingers, watch christmas movies and listen to your show! its our little tradition and we always enjoy your part of it. thanks and happy holidays

-April E
april_e
Lobby Attendant

Postby benyogi2 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:39 pm

Heh Marsbar

Yes I have permission to call you that - you screwed up my last name a little while ago and said I could forever call you Marsbar LOL . This Christmas Eve I will be tuned in to the Rock listening to your show waiting patiently for my husband to come home from work - He works in a warehouse in Mississauga that heaven forbid ever gives them a day off :roll: anyways I know its unusual but could you please play a little acoustic Jon Bon Jovi Hallelujah or Baby Please Come Home for Christmas on his drive back down the 401 home - he'll know its from me :)

Our extended family is many miles away in the Sudbury/ Elliott Lake region so we won't see them till the middle of January.

A favourite Christmas memory of mine was every Christmas eve going to my Grandma's for Chinese food - My grandma has long passed and the tradition isn't carried on anymore because of the distance between us and the rest of the family but the memory is still always with me - Happy Holidays Marsbar !!
benyogi2
Lobby Attendant

Postby papa jim » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:19 pm

This year is my ex's Christmas with the kid's so Dave I will have you on loud and proud. Papa Jim
papa jim
Lobby Attendant

Postby miss_parker » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:05 pm

Christmas eve as a child is full of memories of my maternal grandmother. Being an Italian native, she would prepare the traditional "seven fishes" Christmas eve dinner. Although the food was always excellent, the thought of Santa coming that night would overshadow everything else that was going on. I just wanted to get back home, leave the cookies and milk out for Santa, carrots for the reindeer. and get to sleep so Christmas morning would hurry up and get here.

In the morning, the milk glass was always empty, only cookie crumbs were left, and the carrots would be gone without a trace. Although I miss those magical times, listening to you and your special Christmas eve shows evoke those same enchanting feelings.

Thank you David for all that you do....looking forward to Christmas Eve in the Marsbar Theatre.
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox
I, I will be king
And you, you will be queen
Though nothing will drive them away
We can be Heroes, just for one day

~Heroes~ David Bowie
miss_parker
Stage Manager

Postby bluejeanbaby » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:36 am

All i know, is that I won't be where I really want to be this Christmas Eve. Suffering from that affliction called a Broken Heart.
However, your podcast will be keeping me company. Thank gawd for small miracles.
Merry Christmas to you and yours David. xxooxx
bluejeanbaby
Lobby Attendant

Postby Tyke » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:42 am

Christmas Eve has been and continues to be a time when everything slows right down and the family gathers. A time to give, see smiles, and share laughs, good food, and [probably a few too many] drinks. At some point, we'll watch A Charlie Brown Christmas again. Vince Guaraldi's sound track really invokes the Christmas spirit in me and, I think, many of may generation. For me personally, there is an element of self reflection on how fortunate we are, which has a tremendous impact because I know many others struggle, season or no season. It's very cool what you do on Christmas Eve )

Although Alzheimer's took her some time ago, this will be the first Christmas since my mom put on her wings. She was always good for baking and planning great family times. She was a big fan of the King's College Choir so I'll be ripping Hark! The Harold Angels Sing before we turn in.

For the past several years, your show has made a wonderful backdrop to the evening, David. We'll be popping into the Room to say HI and such to the many friends we've made there.

Brite and I want to wish you and all the fans a very Merry Christmas.
Tyke
Lobby Attendant

Postby Xenon4U2C » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:04 am

Yes, I remember Christmas as a child, those fond memories ...
We would all huddle together in our little van, down by the river.
and Papa would put a little extra gas in the tank for Christmas eve,
so the engine would run just a little longer and we would have heat
for at least half the night and sit and listen to The David Marsden
Christmas Eve Spectacular !!
Dad and Mom would smoke their funny smelling cigarettes.
In the morning me and my sister would open our Christmas sock and
we would always get a cool collection of rocks, with little happy faces
put on them with magic marker. Maybe about 3 or 4 of them.
They were fun to play with. I have a pretty big collection from back then today.
Christmas dinner was different every year, it all depended on what dad
could find at the side of the road. Raccoon is my favorite !!

Oh the memories ...
:mrgreen:
Xenon4U2C
Head Usher

Postby Marsbar » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:01 am

Loving the memories. Can't promise to get them all on during the Christmas Eve Special. Hope to see more. We still have about 29 days left. BTW - if you prefer to only share your thoughts and memories here in this Forum all you need to do is make note of that. Thanks all. Is your shopping done???? :shock:
Marsbar
Stage Manager

Postby Redruby » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:52 pm

When I was little we would all go to my uncles for dinner. All of us kids were allowed to open one preset (PJ's of course) Just before church my uncle from BC would call and tell us where Santa is according to his radar or whatever (I was too excited to actually listen...) then we would shuffle to church for the Christmas service. Dad and I would sit together and keep a running tab on the time and ticking off everything in the program! Then we would go home and go to bed!!

usually on Christmas morning my ma was more excited then us! she would have to wake us up!! :roll:
she still does!!! :oops:

<3
RR

Last edited by Redruby on Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Redruby
Bar Manager

Postby plutoman » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:07 pm

Xenon, It seems you missed your calling to be a great writer. You have a certain je ne sais quoi and eloquence that entails the purest of creative expression.....Squirrel eh? Well at least you had food and a van to sleep in. Station Wagons are worse..
plutoman
Head Usher

Postby papa jim » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:40 pm

It will just me and you and all the mars bars X Mas eve this year . Getting moist thinking about it. :-)
papa jim
Lobby Attendant

Postby Fantasm » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:54 pm

When my son was little, we had moved to a house in Pickering which had a large old fireplace, but it was unsafe to light a fire due to a cracked brick in the flue. As a result, it was closed up to stop the cold air getting in. There was a sheet of thick plywood, backed by some insulation, that completely closed it off.
Well, my son was quite concerned that Santa wouldn't be able to come down the chimney. I told him we'd leave the front door unlocked and it should be ok...
Christmas Eve, he went to bed after making sure that there was milk and cookies out for Santa.
His mom and I stayed up late wrapping gifts. After she went to bed, I was still up....
I looked at the fireplace... and had an idea.
That morning, when my son got up... he was astonished to find the plywood panel splintered and burst as if from something coming out of the fireplace...
Huge boot prints of ash and dust were in front of the fire place...
The cookies and milk were gone... (The dog loved that part....)
And gifts from Santa littered the floor in front of the tree...

On a different note....
A few years later on a sunny day just prior to Christmas, , I was up on the roof doing the Christmas lights, when I heard my neighbour. As I looked down and chatted with her, her young daughter came out of their house. Seeing me up on the roof, she asked me "Whatcha doing?
"Putting up the reindeer traps..." I replied...
The reaction was predictable... but it was funny....
Fantasm
Lobby Attendant

Postby laurensvg » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:26 pm

My story relates more to Christmas music than Christmas eve per sé...

Many years ago, some time in the 80's, there was a wonderful station that called itself "THE SPIRIT OF RADIO". One morning as I was listening while getting ready for work around Christmas-time, they played an amazing version of "FROSTY THE SNOWMAN" It was a special Limited release CD single (in the UK only, so how it got to the SPIRIT I'll never know) performed by The Cocteau Twins. THe instant I heard it, I knew I had to add it to my constantly growing library. I searched high and low but never saw it.

Later, in the late 90's, I heard it playing on the pa of a Dairy Queen. Of all the places to hear a rare song such as this, I was personally enraged. How could DQ have even heard of The Cocteau Twins, let alone have their rare Christmas CD single?!? I had been searching everywhere I went to find this CD. Wherever I travelled, I checked out new and used music stores from Vancouver, Detroit, to European cities like Amsterdam and Frankfurt. Never did I land a copy, but there were quite a few that had heard the CD.

In Feburary 2008, almost a year after my first Daughter was born, We had to go to WDW in Florida for my wife's work. As was my usual custom, wherever I travel, I check out the local music stores. There in DOWNTOWN DISNEY (the trendy store shopping corner of WDW), was a Tower Records. I spent a goodly 4 hours there looking at the racks. Finally in my own hands I held an album that contained the elusive FROSTY THE SNOWMAN, as sung by the Cocteau Twins. Unfortunately it was not the CDsingle, it was even better! A 4 Disc collection called Lullabies to Violaine, on it were both tracks from the CD single, Winter Wonderland and Frosty The Snowman.

It may just be Christmas music to some people, but to me, the only Compulsive Disorder part of my character The love and desire for music, had finally been fulfilled, after about a 30 year search.

Merry Christmas to all, from Laurens van Graft and Family!

(David, you know what would sound great in the background...)
laurensvg
Lobby Attendant

Return to Just Stuff