She Writes A Beautiful Story

A cornucopia of what doesn't fit anywhere else - post away.

She Writes A Beautiful Story

Postby Marsbar » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:52 pm

HAPPY PRIDE :: We Love You Don Berns

On the morning of Monday March 2nd I was on my way to work. I turned on my phone and it lit up with texts and social media posts – all offering condolences for Don Berns.

I could not believe this was true; no way Don died. Don Berns? My co-host during Toronto Pride? No way! There must be some mistake.

I was in such deep shock I even thought it was a hoax. I called Don and left a message, “Don this is Raquel, I sure hope this is a PR stunt. Call me back!”

He never did.

I think the passing of Don Berns – a.k.a. Dr. Trance – hit be so hard because I have never had anyone close to me pass away. Even my grandfather’s passing when I was 16 didn’t hit me as hard. Rattled with grief, I broke down in my office and was sent home for the day.

I didn’t just co-host a stage during my city’s Pride festival with Don, I grew up with him. His radio commercials (Don’s voice also heard on CFNY 102.1FM, TSN, CTV, among others) for Oxy5 acne cream made me actually buy the product.

During the early ‘90s Don formed Nitrous, which organized and promoted rave events in Toronto. His goal was to expose rave culture to the masses, through his own mainstream media connections, his partners’, and his resident DJs. As the Nitrous parties began to flourish they inspired other promoters to throw similar events, so much so that by 1997, there were multiple raves being thrown every weekend. Don planted the first seed that created a rave garden in Toronto thousands of global ravers flocked to; Berns contribution to Toronto’s rave and EDM scene – fundamental moments in the lives of so many – can’t be understated.

In 2004 when my partner and I started Scenester Magazine we hit up the online dance radio station 1Groove.com to buy advertising in the magazine. They did in the first issue. (The ad appears on page 2 for those who have collected the magazine.) Don, every ubiquitous, was known for his voice and contribution to 1Groove.

Don was the creator of Pride Toronto’s Dirty Disco Collective stage which started on the corner of Wellesley and Church Streets. Now all grown up (with a great sponsor, Bud Light) Don’s stage is now the one thousands flock to on the corners of Church and Carlton. I joined the Collective in 2000 thanks in-part to Don, other notables include DJs Deko-ze, JELO, Chiclet, Ticky Ty, Robb G. and TK.

Hosting the Bud Light Dirty Disco stage for the first time I was nervous to finally meet Don Berns. Here I was the new kid on the Dirty Disco block, doing my thing in front of approximately 3,000 people.

Don, of course, made me feel welcome. He gave me a beautiful introduction and a huge thank-you when I passed the mic over to him as he took over, always the Master of Ceremonies. The years that followed were easier and so much fun. I loved introducing Don.

During Pride Toronto 2012 he had special introductions for me to follow because he was dressed as “Super Gay Man” where he was dressed in a Superman costume.

Come 2013 during one of my introductions he opted to look up my tutu. I had no idea he did this until I watched the video playback on my channel Miss Raquel Channel.

Don was a funny sneak, a jokester, a man quick on the draw; he was Pride’s true personality. He was sensitive and kind to me. He was a leader, an inspiration, an icon.

I still can’t see myself share the Dirty Disco stage with anyone but him. Don was my musical friend, Pride buddy, and positive energy. I can see him now, humouring all the souls upstairs who have a chair, mic, towel…and a special heaven Pride parking pass.

Come Sunday June 28, 2015 should Don appear in “our” dressing room I hope he sits down beside me and allows me to put my hands on his shoulders, look him in the eye and tell him he has was a one of a kind legend, who will live forever in this great city.

Follow Raquel Richards on Twitter.
Marsbar
Stage Manager

Return to Just Stuff