Canadian Musicians Concerned

A cornucopia of what doesn't fit anywhere else - post away.

Canadian Musicians Concerned

Postby Marsbar » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:50 pm

Canadian musicians concerned about sale of Vancouver's Railway Club

The looming sale of Vancouver's treasured Railway Club is worrying musicians across Canada, who fear music lovers could lose out because of one of the country's hottest real estate markets.

The Railway Club, which opened in 1931, started hosting musicians in 1981 and has seen the likes of The Tragically Hip, Blue Rodeo and the Barenaked Ladies grace its stage.

A listing for the venue says the sale is a "rare opportunity to take over an iconic Vancouver location" and that the business is "priced to sell" at $299,000.

'A really special place': owner

Steve Filman has owned the Railway Club for the past seven years, and says the unrelenting work involved with running the place is what prompted him to sell.

"If I worked every day, 14 hours a day, I still wouldn't get everything done," he said.

Still, he hopes the new owner will be someone who wants to continue the tradition of the Railway Club as one of Vancouver's longest-operating music venues.

"I don't know too many places that do what we do, having music every night," said Filman.

"It's a really special place ... I'd like to see someone come in and do what we're doing now, and what the owners before us did."

CBC NEWS
Marsbar
Stage Manager

Return to Just Stuff