Talking to myself... Canadian Prog bands

A cornucopia of what doesn't fit anywhere else - post away.

Talking to myself... Canadian Prog bands

Postby Sunbeam » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:19 am

Well, I started typing this stuff in the chatroom as it occurred to me, and I thought, maybe I should copy that to the forum, where it won't scroll off into oblivion in a few hours. Must be important, eh? Who knows, just the musings of a Canadian Hippie. Here it is:

[12/21/2015 - 2:54 am] @ Sunbeam
It just came to me in a flash... the band that Jim Crichton played bass in before forming Saga with his little brother Ian and Mike Sadler, was called Truck. A heavily Mellotron and synth oriented prog band. They did King Crimson covers and the like, plus original compositions. Another contemporary Canadian prog band, Devotion, based out of Montreal, had a very similar set of influences and style of repertoire.
I believe Paul DeLong, the drummer on the new FM album, also played with Devotion at one point. Man, I must be getting old. Doesn’t feel like it, though :lol:

[12/21/2015 - 3:03 am] @ Sunbeam
There was another Canadian prog band from back then, (late 70’s) called Vehicle, from down Hamilton way. The band leader was a trumpet-player named Carlo DiBattista, if I recall correctly. A prog band with horns, they were amazing but sadly I don’t think they ever got past the bar circuit or released any recordings.

[12/21/2015 - 3:06 am] @ Sunbeam
Talking to myself. Feels good sometimes.

Edited [12/22/2015 - 2:40 am] @Sunbeam : to correct a serious factual error in the original post.
Sunbeam
Sound Tech Manager

Return to Just Stuff