We Are Living Through A Cultural Revolution!

A cornucopia of what doesn't fit anywhere else - post away.

We Are Living Through A Cultural Revolution!

Postby Marsbar » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:54 am

Here's an interestging and thought provoking article. What do you think?

Reprinted from FYI Music Newsletter
By FYI Staff

Poet, musician and actor Saul Williams recently likened digital culture today to what drug culture represented in the 1960s. Saul provides a contemporary echo of what Terence McKenna and particularly Timothy Leary have been saying, both icons of the ‘60s cultural revolution: “Drugs were a connector, and now we have technology as a connector.”

So, excuse me when I refuse to share the pessimism or concern some have over streaming royalties, the future of songwriters, etc. I think it’s trivial, because we are living through a cultural revolution and those that focus all their energy on defending the status quo are choosing not to be a part of it. Music has always been a medium for communicating feelings, stories, emotions, thoughts, and now it has become possible to do this near-instantly with people from all around the world.

Forgive me for getting annoyed when legacy copy-monopolists threaten the existence of platforms that foster this immensely important cultural development. It’s not that I don’t care about creatives getting paid - that’s one of the things I care about most. It’s just that I’m too busy checking out how some kid from rural Peru took a Jersey club track remixed by a Berlin techno DJ and blended it with local prehispanic rhythms. I’m too busy telling people about blends of trap music from the south of the US with Yugoslavian pop music. Too busy watching how fanbases of ‘internet producers’ connect and share their love for the incredibly niche music the subject of their fandom creates.

This is also why I don’t listen to bands so much anymore. As a band, it takes a lot of time to create a recording to participate in this conversation. I think bands, in their traditional form, are slowly losing their cultural relevance. Also from an economic perspective, electronic music makes more sense: it’s easier to tour, easier to make music on the road, and you have less people to split earnings with. This is true for hiphop too, which has similar origins to modern electronic music....

- Bas, MusicxTechxFuture
Marsbar
Stage Manager

Re: We Are Living Through A Cultural Revolution!

Postby MoodyBlue » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:58 pm

I agree with this take on the revolution we are going through, but unless we have open formats like .ogg that Microsoft and Apple are forced to run on their software (or hardware) -- without anyone having to download an additional player or driver this revolution will not reach anywhere near its full potential.

As long as someone holds the keys to playing music (.wav, .mp3) etc and discriminates against other formats, I believe that the old copyright holders are in control.

best regards,

John
MoodyBlue
Light Tech Manager

Postby Sunbeam » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:55 am

'Scuse me, but, What a load of Crap.

Buddy is "too busy" to listen to "bands"... but wait, he's listening to "re-mixes" of "blends" of internet fanboy "niches" of music that was created by... wait for it.... musicians. In bands.

Really? This is just a repeat of the live band vs. DJ discussion for entertainment venues during the great Disco Scare of the 1970's.

"Home Taping is Killing Live Music": the Cassette Tape is the End of the World As We Know It. Then came REM to re-write history, and the World Carried On.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. We still have music critics trying to make a living by writing puff-articles convincing us that the world has changed.

Pfft.
Sunbeam
Sound Tech Manager

Postby yanawa5678 » Tue May 31, 2016 11:38 pm

What do you think? :?:
คาสิโน
yanawa5678
Head Usher

Return to Just Stuff