Cinnamon Buns

Recipes, Hints and Ideas For Home

Cinnamon Buns

Postby thebarron » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:50 pm

These buns require 2 risings, one before and one after rolling and cutting the slices

For the Dough:
• 1 Packet active dry yeast
• 1/2 cup lukewarm water & 1/4-1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar, to proof the yeast
• 3 tablespoons shortening or unsalted butter
• 1/2 cup granulated sugar
• 4.5 cups bread flour (more if the dough is sticky, up to 5 cups)
• 1 cup hot water
• 1 large egg, beaten
• 1/2 tablespoon salt (or not if you use salted butter)

For the Filling:
• 1/3 cup melted butter
• 3/4 cups brown sugar
• 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

For the frosting:
• 1/8 cup butter, softened
• 2 cups powdered sugar
• 2 tablespoons milk, more if necessary
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

You Will Require:

Instant Read Thermometer to measure the water temp. for the yeast

I mention a stand mixer. The ingredients can be mixed by hand no problem, U will need to knead the dough longer.

Directions:

In the bowl of a stand mixer, add butter and sugar, to the 1 cup of hot water and beat using the beater blade until well blended, a min or so. Let cool to lukewarm temperature.

While that’s cooling, in a 1 cup measuring cup or a coffee mug, add the yeast & a 1/4-1/2 tsp of granulated sugar into the 1/2 cup of 110-115ºF water (This temp. is VERY important to keep your yeast happy, use an instant read thermometer) stir, and watch impatiently until the yeast bubbles up, about a min.

Add 2 cups of flour into the butter, sugar & water already in the mixer and mix until blended, scraping the sides into the mix. Add yeast mixture and mix until well combined. Mix in the beaten egg.

Switch to the dough hook and gradually stir in the remaining flour, scraping the sides a bit w a spatula and mix on low speed for about 2 minutes until the dough begins to clean the bowl or climbs the hook. Too high of a speed can heat up your dough & kill the yeast. Remove dough from the bowl and place on a well floured counter. Knead by hand, adding a little flour if the dough is still sticky (it will likely be). Knead until dough feels satiny and smooth. About 10 Min.

Spray a bit of non stick spray into a large bowl, add the dough, cover and let rise in a warm spot for 30 minutes or so, until the dough has roughly doubled in size. Remove it from the bowl and place on a floured counter. Spread a bit of flour on top, flip it, spread a bit more again on that side, and with a floured rolling pin, roll the dough into a rectangular shape, about 22 X 13 inches or larger depending on how much the dough has risen. Turn, flip and flour as required to prevent sticking. A large surface helps much. There will be some gentle pulling and stretching along with the rolling to achieve a flat, rectangular shape.

Spread the dough evenly with the melted butter using a pastry brush (I use a silicone basting brush), about 1/3 cup. Lots of butter is good. In a medium bowl, mix the brown sugar & cinnamon well, making sure to smooth out all the lumps of brown sugar. I use an empty plastic herb container w big holes for a shaker. Sprinkle the dough evenly with the brown sugar and cinnamon. Raisins are optional and I don’t include them.

Carefully roll up the coated dough into one long roll working back & forth from one end to the other. You can stretch the finished roll a wee bit on your now lightly floured surface to 24-26 inches if required. I keep a small measuring tape handy. Cut slices, using a piece of non flavoured dental floss, thread, or a very sharp knife, one inch thick. If you want 12 big honking rolls, cut em 2 inches. I do not recommend a knife for 1 inch rolls. Wrap the thread around the roll & pull tight from top to bottom to cut the slices. It's magic. Place rolls in greased 9X13-inch baking pans, leaving about 2-inches between the rolls so they have room to rise. This should yield around 24 buns.

Cover the pans with a clean kitchen towel & place them somewhere warm in your kitchen for the second rise, or cover w cling wrap & put in the fridge to let them rise overnight and bring out 45 min before baking. Let the rolls rise until double in bulk. An hour or 2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake on middle rack for 20-30 minutes or until the cinnamon rolls are golden brown on top. Every oven is different so check at 15 minutes to be safe, but it should take longer. You don't want them to be doughy in the middle. Time will also vary based on how big they get during the second rise. Remove from the oven and let the rolls cool to room temperature on racks.

While the rolls are cooling, make the frosting. In a medium bowl, whisk together well softened butter, sugar, milk, and vanilla. I make it thin enough to be able to drizzle from a large spoon. Frost the cooled cinnamon rolls generously
thebarron
Chatroom Boss

Re: Cinnamon Buns

Postby TheFriendlySpider » Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:31 pm

That recipe looks awesome!

I'll be sure to give those a try very soon.

As quick alternative, that is very good, super easy, and fast try one of the many recipes that use Pillsbury Crescent Rolls as a quick start.

I like the better home and gardens version, however all the ones I've tries are very similar.

10min to prepare & 10 min to bake.

4 Ingredients for the Rolls
1 package (8) refrigerated crescent rolls
1 tablespoon butter, melted
2 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

3 Ingredients for the Icing - Optional IMO
½ cup powdered sugar
¼ teaspoon vanilla
1 - 2 teaspoon orange juice or milk

https://www.bhg.com/recipe/quickbreads/ ... mon-rolls/

TheFriendlySpider