Cranberry-Orange Relish

Recipes, Hints and Ideas For Home

Cranberry-Orange Relish

Postby Sunbeam » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:24 am

Again this past Thanksgiving, I made one of my childhood favourites.

My Mom loved this, I make it now with reduced sugar, and it's fabulous. My Dad always preferred the cooked cranberry sauce- 1C water, 1C sugar, 1 12oz pkg cranberries, boiled and lightly mashed.

But I love the cranberry-orange, uncooked relish. It's not just a condiment, it's a turkey dinner side-dish.

Rinse and drain 1 12-oz bag of fresh cranberries

Quarter, and eighth one whole large navel orange, after washing it. Remove any seeds you can find.

In a couple of batches, throw a handful or two of cranberries and a few pieces of orange (yes, skin and all) into a food processor and chop until you have a fine relish consistency. If you need a bit of moisture to help the fruit whirl around nicely in the food processor, add orange juice a tablespoon at a time until you get a nice consistency, but not too wet.

I only have a little food processor/chopper, so I do multiple batches. If you have a big full-size food processor, you might be able to just do it all at once. In the days before food processors, we just put it all through a meat grinder. 8-)

Dump into a glass bowl and repeat until you have used up all the fruit. Add 1/2 Cup of sugar, and mix it all up.

Some people suggest adding 1/2 tsp of cinnamon, or 1/4 tsp of ground allspice, but I've never tried this. I just keep it simple. The fruit flavours stand on their own for me.

For best flavour, cover and let stand in the fridge for a day or three before serving. Keeps in the fridge for at least a week.

We freeze the leftover amounts in 1-Cup servings, because this stuff is just wonderful as the fruit in fruit-bran muffins. :D yummm, orange cranberry bran muffins.

Check out my fruit-bran muffin recipe here on the board, double the recipe, use 1 cup of this stuff and 1 cup of unsweetened applesauce, and you'll have the best damn fruit-bran muffins you've ever tasted. Anywhere. Guaranteed. Better than your Grandma made.

Cheers and Bon Appetit
-Sunbeam
Sunbeam
Sound Tech Manager

Return to Marsden Theatre Kitchens