Easy, Yummy Dressing

Recipes, Hints and Ideas For Home

Easy, Yummy Dressing

Postby thebarron » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:19 am

You can't beat a good dressing to spice up an everyday meal, it doesn't have to be Thanksgiving or Christmas to have dressing, it is a quick & easy addition to any meal.

I like meat dressing, that normally includes sausage meat. Hot Italian adds a nice bite. I recently made a wonderful stuffing using left over taco meat. If you add meat to your stuffing, it must be finely ground, so it sticks to the mix, many sausage meat packages are very rough ground, and end up being chunky in your dressing, tasty, but does not mix well.

White bread is highly overrated, Longos have a dried bread dressing mix they put out @ Thanksgiving & Xmas that is a mixture of all the bread mixes they produce, rye, pumpernickel etc. I buy them in bulk when I can & freeze it for future dressing. Any bread other than white will enhance the flavour of your stuffing & is a bit healthier, it being dressing considered. ;) The bread should be just soft enough that you can still cut it in to cubes. Bordering on crunchy. I have steamed frozen super crunchy bread until it just breaks without crumbling.

I use a 12qt stock pot to mix the dressing in. There is no bowl large enough for this task. A flat bottomed wooden spatula is your friend here as well. The stock pot is important for gauging the amount of spice to be added also. I only mention parts of seasoning. The mixture must be set by smell.

6 cups bread cut into 1" squares
250g of sausage meat
2 parts Sage
1 part poultry seasoning
1/2 part Oregano
1/2 part Fine ground pepper
1/3 cup Butter
3/4 cup finely cut celery
1/4 cup finely cut onion
1/4 cup shredded carrot
1 finely chopped garlic clove (Or more, garlic is good!)
1 cup chicken broth or required for stickiness (I use 2 Bovril packets, but only add 1 cup water instead of 1.5)
1tsp Sriracha (or your fave hot sauce, or not)
If using real stock instead of salty Bovril or whatever, U may need to add a 1/4tsp or so of Shuggy Salt. Add to taste.

Cook the sausage in pan until it freely falls apart, add butter, onions, celery, carrot & garlic
saute just for a min or two stirring constantly
add half cup of broth & Sriracha
simmer till veggies are soft

Cut the bread into 1" cubes and add to the stock pot. Add 2tsp Sage, 1tsp poultry seasoning, 1/2 tsp oregano & 1/2tsp pepper to start.
Dump the contents of the pan into the pot with the bread and mix thoroughly.
Carefully add leftover broth & continue mixing until the dressing just barely clumps together, the bread is squeezable, but not mushy.

Bake covered in a bread pan @ 275ºF for 45min

I mentioned earlier about smell, you have to be able to clearly smell the sage over the onion, celery and whatnot once it is all is mixed. If not, add more sage, poultry seasoning & oregano in the parts listed until you can clearly smell the sage and remix. Here, the stock pot helps, stick your head into it. ;)

Enjoy!
thebarron
Chatroom Boss

Return to Marsden Theatre Kitchens