Milkshakes For Summer Lovin'

Recipes, Hints and Ideas For Home

Milkshakes For Summer Lovin'

Postby Marsbar » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:11 pm

This section of the site was originally at the request of Sistah Mar. I haven't posted here in a while but recently came across these milkshake ideas and just had to share. When I was was 14 or 15 I was a soda jerk in a dairy bar. Milkshakes were my fave to make. Try these sometime...

Each recipe makes 2 milkshakes.
1. Vanilla: Blend 1 pint vanilla ice cream, 1/4 cup milk, 1 teaspoon vanilla and a pinch of salt.

2. Toasted Marshmallow: Broil 8 marshmallows on foil, turning, until browned. Make Vanilla Milkshakes (No. 1), adding 6 of the toasted marshmallows. Top with the remaining marshmallows.

3. S’mores: Broil 8 marshmallows on foil, turning, until browned. Blend 1 pint chocolate ice cream, 1/4 cup milk, 1 teaspoon vanilla, a pinch of salt and 6 of the toasted marshmallows. Top with crushed graham crackers and the remaining toasted marshmallows.

4. Fig and Port: Simmer 1 cup port and 1/3 cup chopped dried figs until the liquid is reduced by half; cool, then blend with 1 tablespoon port. Make Vanilla Milkshakes (No. 1); layer in glasses with the port mixture.

5. Strawberry: Blend 1 pint strawberry ice cream, 1 cup strawberries and 1/4 cup milk.

6. Mixed Berry: Make Strawberry Milkshakes (No. 5), replacing the strawberries with 1/2 cup each raspberries and blueberries.

7. Strawberry-Rhubarb: Simmer 1 1/2 cups sliced rhubarb, 2 tablespoons each sugar and water, and 1/4 teaspoon orange zest until soft; cool. Blend with 1/2 cup milk and 1 pint strawberry ice cream.

8. Chocolate Blend: 1 pint chocolate ice cream, 1/4 cup cream and 3 tablespoons chocolate syrup.

9. Corn Cereal: Steep 1 1/2 cups sweetened corn cereal (such as Cap’n Crunch) in 1 1/2 cups hot milk, 30 minutes. Strain and freeze in an ice cube tray. Blend the frozen milk cubes with 1 pint vanilla ice cream and 1 cup cereal. Top with more cereal.

10. Chocolate-Banana: Blend 1 pint chocolate ice cream, 2 frozen bananas and 1/4 cup chocolate milk.

11. Peanut Butter–Banana: Make Chocolate-Banana Milkshakes (No. 10), adding 1/2 cup peanut butter.

12. Boozy Banana: Make Chocolate-Banana Milkshakes (No. 10), adding 2 tablespoons rum.

13. Lemon Meringue: Blend 1 cup each lemon sorbet and vanilla frozen yogurt, 1/4 cup milk and 2 tablespoons jarred lemon curd; pour into glasses. Beat 2 egg whites and 2 tablespoons superfine sugar until stiff. Spoon onto the shakes and brown with a kitchen torch.

14. Raspberry Pavlova: Make Lemon Meringue Milkshakes (No. 13), replacing the lemon sorbet with raspberry sorbet and the lemon curd with 1/2 cup raspberries.

15. Key Lime: Blend 1 pint vanilla frozen yogurt, 1/2 cup milk, and the zest and juice of 6 Key limes.

16. Pina Colada: Blend 1 pint vanilla frozen yogurt, 1 cup frozen pineapple chunks, 1 tablespoon cream of coconut and 2 ounces dark rum. Garnish with pineapple.

17. Coconut Tres Leches: Blend 1 pint vanilla ice cream and 2 tablespoons each sweetened condensed milk and cream of coconut. Stir in 1/2 cup toasted pound cake cubes. Top with toasted shredded coconut.

18. Maple-Walnut Blend: 1 pint vanilla ice cream, 1/2 cup milk and 2 tablespoons maple syrup. Put jarred walnuts in syrup in each glass and top with the ice cream mixture.

19. Mango-Yogurt: Blend 1 pint mango sorbet, 1 chopped mango and 2/3 cup plain kefir or yogurt. Top with chopped mango.

20. Mint Julep: Blend 1 cup each mint ice cream and vanilla frozen yogurt with 2 ounces bourbon. Top with mint leaves.

Marsbar
Stage Manager

Re: Milkshakes For Summer Lovin'

Postby NewGoldDream » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:42 pm

All sound so delicious David ... will you serve them poolside here at the midsummer party?..I will provide all ingredients and equipment ... even the hat and apron ... hope you can swim ... if not, I teach.

Rick
NGD
Rick NGD
NewGoldDream
Head Usher

Postby MoodyBlue » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:44 pm

David, I am trying to remember when was last time that I actually saw a "dairy bar". Other than a dairy queen, that does not count because to be a dairy bar it has to be in a drug store or something like that.

Best regards,

John
MoodyBlue
Light Tech Manager

Postby Sunbeam » Tue May 24, 2016 1:18 am

John, I guess dairy bars were commonly found in drug stores and such in larger towns and cities. The last time I saw a dairy bar it was the front-end store-front for a small-town dairy. Right here in Shelburne, at the corner of Owen Sound Street and First Avenue. Long since torn down to make way for a new Credit Union...

Back when the local farmers brought their fresh milk and cream to the local dairy daily in milk-cans... when marketing slogans were "Something new for '62.", "Something more for '64.", "Come alive in '65." ....The facade of the building was classic Art Deco. I wish I could find pictures- rounded stucco with big metal decorative piping and Art-Deco back-lit metal logo... interior was total world of terrazzo, chrome and vinyl, swivel stools, Hamilton-Beach milkshake machines, and bottled Coke in a water-filled cooler...

Aww shucks, makes me feel young just thinking about it :)
Sunbeam
Sound Tech Manager

Return to Marsden Theatre Kitchens