Popcorn magic, from David and Reese

Recipes, Hints and Ideas For Home

Popcorn magic, from David and Reese

Postby Sunbeam » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:21 am

I've concluded that the artificial flavours and oils in packaged microwave popcorn are evil to our health and well-being, so I bought a bunch of bulk popcorn kernels and decided to get back to basics. Funny how that can re-acquaint one with what is really good.

A hot-air popcorn popper is a good thing, but you can also pop bulk kernels in your microwave, in a paper bag. LCBO paper bags work fine :) Don't add any oil, just pop dry kernels in the paper bag. Leave expansion room and fold/lock the top tightly, it works.

I recalled a discussion of this on the chatroom a week or so ago, and recap a couple of the best tips here;

Reese: I use garlic powder and grated fresh parmesan cheese

David: Use 1/2 paprika to 1/2 sugar blend, add to buttered/salted popcorn, shake it up and smile.

Adjust salt and sugar/paprika or garlic/parmesan ratio to taste. Of course, melted real butter is required, it's much better than any of the alternatives, and healthier, too.

I can see a Cajun variation coming out of this- I've been a student of the late Chef Paul for a couple decades... traditional cajun seasonings include paprika, onion and garlic powders, cayenne and black peppers, thyme and oregano. Sweeten that a bit and see what happens :)

Fun with popcorn, real butter, and real flavours from your fridge and spice cupboard, who knew? We've Been Orville ReddenBrainwashed. Have fun and share your ideas here.
Sunbeam
Sound Tech Manager

Re: Popcorn magic, from David and Reese

Postby Sunbeam » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:45 am

Just for example, here's a traditional basic Cajun spice blend:

1 heaping tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoons salt
1 heaping teaspoon garlic powder
1 heaping teaspoon onion powder
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons black pepper
1/2 teaspoon leaf thyme
1/2 teaspoon leaf oregano

I use this as a base recipe for many different cajun-based spice blends, with the possible addition of things like basil, white pepper, lemon-pepper, cumin, sage, sugar, and nutmeg, to accentuate the different flavour spectrum of various foods.

Why pay an outrageous price for a pre-packaged "special spice blend" when you can get adventurous and create your own from base ingredients you already have, for a fraction of the price?

I've already taken my own thread off-topic, but have fun with all of it :D
Sunbeam
Sound Tech Manager

Postby Marsbar » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:31 pm

Sunbeam is correct: the concept of the paprika and sugar is only a start to the exciting idea of flavoured popcorn.

He is also correct with regards eating microwave popcorn. And the idea of using a brown paper back is cool. The mystery for me is how much un-popped corn to put in the bag leaving enough space for what will be popped. :-)

If you live in Canada and watched the CBC MarketPlace Show about the food we eat - you will know the tricks being pulled by Supermarkets.
Marsbar
Stage Manager

Postby Sunbeam » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:51 am

Ok, here's the key to the mystery:

I just put a scant 1/4 cup of dry popcorn kernels into an LCBO single bottle bag, folded up the top of the bag, put in the microwave on full power for 2 minutes and 45 seconds.
(YMMV: Your microwave may vary) use your ears.

Melted about 2 tablespoons of real salted butter and poured over.

Added about 1 heaping teaspoon of white sugar, and about 1 heaping teaspoon of paprika, and mixed it all up.

I am in bliss. This is a good single-serving sized effort. I could have probably put 1/3 cup of kernels into this bag (no more) without overflowing it. You could put 1/2 to 3/4 cup of kernels into one of the larger (mid-sized) LCBO bags. Don't be afraid to experiment. The beauty is, you can keep re-using the same bag several times.

Like commercial microwave popcorn, timing must be done by ear... when the popping noticeably slows down, take it out! I had no more unpopped kernels left than one would expect following commercial microwave popcorn directions.

This is fabulous, and so much less expensive than the artificially-flavoured, hydrogenated oil saturated commercial microwave popcorn. I'm just buying the 1kg packages of no-name Popping Corn kernels from now on. It is so much better than the crap that we have been Orville ReddenBrainwashed into buying for so long... and the LCBO bags seem to appear magically.

Thanks David for the tip about the sugar/paprika, that is a synergistic taste combination I would never have imagined, but it's truly a magical combination with the popcorn. I might have to make another batch...

Rating: :D :D :D :D :D
From the Sunbeam Test Kitchens
Sunbeam
Sound Tech Manager

Postby Marsbar » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:49 am

So happy you like it Sunbeam. I've been doing my popcorn with the sugar/paprika combination for several years. Can't remember what my motivation might have been other than seeking a new flavour.

The only thing slowing me down now is an ability to find organic popcorn. Please NOTE: I'm not giving up popcorn, but I have read the first thing to be affected by Monsanto is corn. While I will not stop eating regular popcorn I keep looking for some reasonably priced organic. :-)

Please let me know if you have any ideas on that......
Marsbar
Stage Manager

Postby Sunbeam » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:53 am

Oh my, Monsanto and what they are doing to our food crops, that is a whole wide-ranging issue :( .
For now, I try not to think about that while I'm eating popcorn, but you have raised a valid concern. I've been active on several LeadNow, and SumOfUs campaigns against corporate cultural rape, but I wonder if I'm just setting myself up as a target. The new fascist takeover is nearly complete, and the CNN-eaters are spinning happily. Eating GMO popcorn. I'd better stop now.

But, If I find some locally grown non-GMO organic popcorn, I'll send you some :)
Sunbeam
Sound Tech Manager

Return to Marsden Theatre Kitchens