1/2 cup of butter

1 cup packed brown sugar

1 egg unbeaten

3/4 cup flour

1 Tsp baking powder

1/2 cup chopped nuts (or coconut) optional

1 Tbsp milk

1 Tsp vanilla

Melt butter and brown sugar over heat (I use medium sized pot) Cool until warm. Add
unbeaten egg and beat until very smooth. (whisk). Add milk and vanilla (stir in). Add remaining ingredients. Pour into greased 8 X 8 pan. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Cut into squares when cold.

Note: I double this recipe and cook in a slab cake sized pan. When doubled, I increase the cooking time by about 5 mins.

---

Now this is an interesting recipe. It produces rather unspectacular-looking squares that could be brownies if they had chocolate in them. Here's the thing :

They are for Coffee Lovers! I had some of these in my lunch pack a couple weeks back, and when I had a sip of coffee after a bite of this, it brought out all the wonderful flavours of the coffee in my mouth that just said "Wow! that coffee tastes like I paid waaay more for it than I did." The coffee was just Presidents Choice medium roast preground "gourmet"coffee, but the taste after a bite of one of these squares made it taste like I had just fresh-ground some exotic fresh-roasted beans to make the ultimate coffee. A real synergy thing. If you're not a coffee drinker, they may not be very special. But as an enhancement to a cup of everyday coffee, these are magical.
Sunbeam
Sound Tech Manager

Return to Marsden Theatre Kitchens