Domenic Troiano Scholarship

Everything You Ever Wanted To Say Or Read About Music

Domenic Troiano Scholarship

Postby Peter » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:26 am

The Domenic Troiano Guitar Scholarship was created in 2006 to honour the legacy of an extraordinary Canadian music legend. Donations from 136 individuals and music related companies have funded $43,500 in scholarships forCanadian guitarists Aimee Piche, Lucus Haneman, Shawn Pickup, Floria Nica, Paul Kosmac, Michael Kolk, Jordan Laidlaw, Alex Goodman and James Graham.

The Trustees have reimagined the scholarship and are excited to announce the new annual ‘Domenic Troiano Guitar Awards’

Says RUSH’s Alex Lifeson, “On June 30, 1967, I saw the Mandala at the North York Centennial Arena. At the side of the stage Donny gave me his autograph and his Mandala button. He told me how important it was to keep practicing and if I worked hard, I might get the chance to stand on stage and play for people some day. I was beaming. He was my first real inspiration and to this day I have a deep love and admiration for a man who truly knew the meaning of soul. I am proud to be a humble part of his enduring influence”.

Three $5,000 prizes will be awarded to Canadian guitarists in the categories of Jazz, Multi-Genre (Rock, Blues, R&B, Country, etc.) and Classical, with trophies designed by Istvan Fujkin. The deadline for submissions of one 3 to 4 minute performance on video to Sonicbids is Friday, March 28, 2014.

For application criteria visit www.domenictroiano.com.

Thecash prizes and trophies will be presented with performances by the award winners at the first annual Domenic Troiano Guitar Awards Dinner at Hugh’s Room in Toronto.

About Domenic Troiano (1946-2005)

Credited by many as the catalyst of the ‘Toronto Sound’ in the 1960’s, Domenic Troiano played a principle role in Mandala,The James Gang, Bush and The Guess Who. He was inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame in 1996 and scored multiple movie and television themes including ‘Night Heat’, ‘Diamonds’ and ‘Hot Shots’. Troiano produced recordings by Moe Koffman, Shawne Jackson, Kilowatt, David Gibson and John Rutledge. He played on recordings by Diana Ross, Joe Cocker, Donald Fagan, David Clayton-Thomas, Etta James, Ronnie Hawkins, James Cotton and Long John Baldry. Three Dog Night, Skylark and John Rutledge have recorded his songs.

For More Information Contact:

John Harris, Trustee, Domenic Troiano Guitar Awards

at 416.367.0178 or john@harrisinstitute.com
Peter
Usher

Return to Music