The race horse that changed the course of music history

Everything You Ever Wanted To Say Or Read About Music

The race horse that changed the course of music history

Postby MoodyBlue » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:18 pm

On June 2nd 1954, a horse named "Never Say Die" won the Epson Derby. A lady named Mona Best pawned all of her Jewellery and placed a bet on the 33 to 1 horse. This changed the course of music history.

With the winnings, Mona Best was later able to buy a huge house in Liverpool. She opened a Coffee bar in the basement called the Casbah.

A musician named Ken Brown, arranged to have the band he played in to be the opening act, and was busy helping Mona get the place ready.

But his band mates got in a snit about the time he was spending at the Casbah and refused to play.

So Ken Brown left the group, and another musician in the group left with him, and said to Ken Brown that he had two mates who could join him to form a band. His name was George Harrison, and his mates were John Lennon and Paul McCartney.

And that is how it all started. Yes, they were the Quarrymen.

It was all over a "Big Snit"

I read this in the book "The Beatles: The True Beginnings by Roag Best. (with Pete and Rory Best).

I can just see George Harrison sitting there very quietly, watching the whole thing go down and thinking " this guy Ken Brown has been working his butt off for our benefit, and these guys are complaining" I am leaving with him.

History is funny this way, when you think of certain people or events taken out of the equation, and the rest does not happen. This next piece of the puzzle would be Brian Epstein -- to make things happen.
MoodyBlue
Light Tech Manager

Re: The race horse that changed the course of music history

Postby Marsbar » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:25 pm

Very interesting story. I never imagined a race horse could do so much. :-)
Marsbar
Stage Manager

Return to Music