Bob Crewe

Everything You Ever Wanted To Say Or Read About Music

Bob Crewe

Postby Marsbar » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:24 pm

Sad news but not unexpected. Perhaps some day soon on one of my shows at https://www.nythespirit.com I'll tell the story of the night I spent celebrating New York City with Bob Crewe. :-)

Bob Crewe, the veteran singer, songwriter and producer who penned a string of hits for the Four Seasons, including "Sherry," "Big Girls Don't Cry," "Walk Like a Man" and "Rag Doll," died Thursday at the age of 82. Crewe's brother, Dan, confirmed the songwriter's death to Rolling Stone. Crewe made an indelible impact on pop music, co-writing the ubiquitous "Can't Take My Eyes Off You" in 1967 for Frankie Valli and Labelle's 1974 hit "Lady Marmalade" alongside tracks for Michael Jackson, Roberta Flack and Peabo Bryson.

Crewe would spend most of the Fifties writing hits for other singers before recording two albums himself in 1961 and becoming a "teen heartthrob" alongside Ricky Nelson and Paul Anka. After meeting songwriter Bob Gaudio, the duo would go on to write and produce some of the biggest hits of the decade, starting with "Sherry." Recorded in 1962 by the Four Seasons, the song became a Number One hit. Crewe produced the 1963 hit "Candy Girl" and wrote and produced the 1965 Four Seasons track "Let's Hang On!," both of which remain pop standards.
Marsbar
Stage Manager

Re: Bob Crewe

Postby Marsbar » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:10 pm

Here's a photo of Bob Crewe (front middle) Joey Reynolds (behind Bob) Wayne and myself. I remember very little about this photograph, other than we were all very skinny and we wore tight little bathing suits.

Sometime on one of my live shows at https://www.nythespirit.com I will tell the story about one of the nights I spent with Bob at his apartment at The Dakota.

Marsbar
Stage Manager

Return to Music