A Farewell to The Theatre

Everything You Ever Wanted To Say Or Read About Music

A Farewell to The Theatre

Postby NewGoldDream » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:14 pm

An old friend drops by on a Saturday night with a stack of records under his arm. Some music is old and some new, you greet him anxiously knowing he has a newly found gem or an old lost classic. He's the type of old friend whether you haven't seen in years, or saw him last week, within minutes you're caught up like you never lost a beat. You trust in his choice of new music, saving you a lot of effort from trying to weed out the riff from the raff.

I am new to The Theatre and all it has to offer.. from the posts on bulletin boards to the chatroom..David Marsden plays the music you want to look up and find out who the artist is. I don't now of anyone else listing songs and artists and has a back catalog as deep as in the Theatre. For that matter, who even plays song you would bother looking up if it was listed?

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones who lives close by, so while I was on delivery I did a quick drive by and wave to see David at his work. He waves back and even makes mention of it during his show. When in the chatroom you can tell David is a very genuine caring guy, always greeting everyone personally and you feel welcomed to the room as if you were like family. There is a great bunch of people in the chatroom with a common love of good music and a real connection with David.

I am just finding out about David and The Theatre right at the tail end....and I feel like I am going to lose touch with that buddy who showed up with his stack of records. As for the people who have known David for years... I can't imagine how badly they feel but I know David will find a way continue to be a big part in their lives. I was just an occasional Saturday night listener, when I had free time or just taking a break from paperwork. Maybe David has found a way to keep in touch with us all...daily.

This is my farewell to The Theatre. You always say it is just about the music...but as a new listener and by you already introducing me to so much more...music is music...but David, for me and for so many, it's nicer to share it with you.

Rick
NewGoldDream
Last edited by NewGoldDream on Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rick NGD
NewGoldDream
Head Usher

Re: A Farewell to The Theater

Postby Marsbar » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:33 am

Thank you very much NewGoldDream/Rick. Your words have somehow given me strength. It's been quite a week so far. I truly wish we could have been together on the radio for much longer.

However - there will be LIVE shows on my website to take the place of the missing radio shows. Also the 40th Annual Christmas Eve Show will happen LIVE Christmas Eve - starting at 8 PM EST.

No commercials and no data mining - https://www.nythespirit.com

For those who haven't seen the excellent article by Will McGuirk, here's the link...

http://slowcity.ca/1/post/2014/12/dj-david-marsden-leaves-local-goes-global.html
Marsbar
Stage Manager

Re: A Farewell to The Theatre

Postby NewGoldDream » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:04 pm

You are most welcome David. 11 years is a long time...almost 3 marriages nowadays...lol...I see it is almost 570 shows, and I have only been here for less than 40 :-( .. I can judge by your friends in chatroom that you are so special in their lives. You say to them “I'm here for ya” … I'm not speaking for them, but, I'm sure like family...they will always be ...Here for You!

R
NGD
Rick NGD
NewGoldDream
Head Usher

Postby Contact » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:58 pm

NewGoldDream wrote:An old friend drops by on a Saturday night with a stack of records under his arm...

I’ve read this post several times over the last few days and am still dazzled.
You’ve just written the perfect epilogue to this book The Marsden Theatre.
For me it really feels like I’ve been reading a very good book and I’m about to finish the final pages.
I always dislike finishing a book and saying good-bye to friends.
Marsbar wrote:However - there will be LIVE shows on my website to take the place of the missing radio shows. Also the 40th Annual Christmas Eve Show will happen LIVE Christmas Eve - starting at 8 PM EST.

No commercials and no data mining - https://www.nythespirit.com

Happily, I already started reading the next book before I finished this one; couldn't wait. :D
Contact
Bar Manager

Postby Sunbeam » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:46 am

Um, yes indeed.

Thank-You, NGD, you have crystallized so many of my thoughts into words so beautifully. I could never have said it better... I could have a stack of all the records David is going to play on tonight's show, but I haven't the talent to create the magic David creates with that stack of records...
Sunbeam
Sound Tech Manager

Return to Music