Wrecking Crew Documentary Film

Everything You Ever Wanted To Say Or Read About Music

Wrecking Crew Documentary Film

Postby MoodyBlue » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:41 pm

Hello everyone

I remember the big "scandal" in music history when it was revealed that most hits from the USA had session musicians, not the musicians who were on the cover. The session musicians were called the Wrecking Crew.

CBC has a story on this documentary about the Wrecking Crew.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/q/schedule-for-monday-july-6-2015-1.3139463/the-wrecking-crew-meet-the-unsung-heroes-of-1960s-music-1.3139488

A wee bit of music history for you.

Cheers

John
MoodyBlue
Light Tech Manager

Re: Wrecking Crew Documentary Film

Postby Marsbar » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:13 pm

I am somewhat sceptical of this report. It is mildly deceiving in its reporting.

Of course vocal artists (IE - Sonny & Cher - Simon & Garfunkle) would have studio musicians. Did anyone really that either Sonny or Garfunkle were playing all those violins?

I believe this video suggests that we were all taken for a ride. I definitely don't believe we are that naive. To me this is a puff piece designed to sensationalize. Using a very broad brush in and showing indifference. I see very few artists who actually play their own instruments listed in this doc. Have I missed something.

If this doc has been painted a little grey - shame on the producers and the CBC for positioning this documentary in an attempt to re-write the real history.
Marsbar
Stage Manager

Postby MoodyBlue » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:08 pm

Hi David

I think what they are saying is that there was a core group of musicians who did most of the music on the recordings for those performers who did not play instruments like Sony & Cher and the Momas & the Poppas.

The only times it was an issue is when they performed for groups like the Beach Boys, the Monkees and the Byrds. It was the Monkees situation that sparked the issue. The only reason for it was that the session musicians were better, and, speed was important.

Somebody got into a fit about it back then, started the talk about it, and then everyone in the industry appeared to have decided to not talk about it any more.

I don't care, it was all great music, it is just a good thing that these musicians like Carol Kaye are getting the recognition.

See: http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2014/07/10 ... ss-lesson/

Cheers

John
MoodyBlue
Light Tech Manager

Postby Marsbar » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:43 pm

OK and yes.

I guess what bothered me was the positioning headline they seemed to put on this. If one didn't read or listen carefully one might think this was true of all rock. Remember the rumours that Ringo never played drums on Beatle recording sessions.

Seemed to me the CBC may be at fault for positioning the hype. Or maybe I just imagined all that.

:-)

Either way it looks like a cool doc. Thanks for sharing.
Marsbar
Stage Manager

Postby shell824 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:59 pm

I quite enjoyed the documentary film "The Wrecking Crew,"but the bass player featured, Carol Kaye, must have had a disagreement with Denny Tedesco, the director of the film, and went out of her way to distance herself from the film. Odd :(

https://youtu.be/EZEIEgvCcoU
Prepare to tremble !
shell824
Head Usher

Postby yanawa5678 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:07 am

yanawa5678
Head Usher

Return to Music