Paul McCartney -- Keep it old Scholl

Everything You Ever Wanted To Say Or Read About Music

Paul McCartney -- Keep it old Scholl

Postby MoodyBlue » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:06 am

MoodyBlue
Light Tech Manager

Re: Paul McCartney -- Keep it old Scholl

Postby Marsbar » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:59 am

I understand and respect Paul's words and thoughts. One would be a fool to not do so when listening to someone who has experienced such great success. And Moody I also respect your knowledge of technical things. Me? I'm running along trying to keep up. :-)

However, as you know Moodyblue - there are a significant number of young musicians who no longer spend money on studio time. With the wonderful advances in technology some have a brilliant home studio. And it's not all that difficult. Software such as Sony Acid and Sound Forge - along with a myriad collection of programs - gives expansion never before possible for a home studio.

Our friends Slave To The Squarewave - are at about 8 albums and still counting. All were done in Rob's home studio. Is it like your home stereo or computer sound system? No its much more, but it is build into one very full room at Rob's house. The sounds he gets from that room with vocals and stuff is top notch.

Back in the late 70's I had a 50% interest in a very large Toronto studio. Massive studios with scores or mics. A 48 track mixing board that must have been at least 4 meters long. It took 2 guys just to work the damn thing. In those days bands would book into the studio for several weeks and in some cases months. They had the full studio 24 hours a day. I recall at least once when engineers spent more than 2 full days just to set the mics for the drums. When it was all over they had a new album.

Back then control rooms mostly looked like this....BTW only half the picture is shown here

Marsbar
Stage Manager

Return to Music