Masters and Moderns -- memories of CFNY

Everything You Ever Wanted To Say Or Read About Music

Masters and Moderns -- memories of CFNY

Postby MoodyBlue » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:12 pm

Hi everyone

CFNY had a show every Sunday morning that I really enjoyed, it was called Masters and Moderns and was hosted by Daniel Richler. Daniel gave as a wonderful mix of classical and modern music on this show. Never heard another like it before or since.

But what else would we expect from CFNY?

Cheers

John
MoodyBlue
Light Tech Manager

Re: Masters and Moderns -- memories of CFNY

Postby Marsbar » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:40 pm

As I'm sure everyone knows, Daniel was the step-son of the famous writer - Mordecai Richler. He did host Masters and Moderns before leaving for MUCH Music. My memory is such that I don't recall him hosting that Saturday and Sunday morning shows. Daniel did shows at CFNY so I'm sure you are correct John.

David Hight took it over both Saturday and Sunday mornings - 6 AM to 9 AM. This is came about when I inherited a license condition requiring 6 hours of Classical Music. Very difficult with a station doing its best to play punk and stuff.

So we created Masters and Moderns. The job of the host was to blend and mix the Classics with current day music. It turned out much better than I ever expected.

David's show ended in 1991 when CRTC regulations changed, no longer requiring FM stations to air music outside the format. Frankly - had I still been at CFNY-FM I probably would have left the show in place. Why? Cause it was really good...and because it made great listening after a heavy night of partying. ;)

I don't know where David Hight is these days. Daniel has returned from the UK and recently guest hosted CBC's Q show for a week.
Marsbar
Stage Manager

Return to Music