Everything You Ever Wanted To Say Or Read About Music

Cassettes Are Back?

Postby Marsbar » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:44 pm

Take a look at this. Please note the sales of cassettes for 2016

Marsbar
Stage Manager

Re: Cassettes Are Back?

Postby Krynoid » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:20 pm

I noticed that the new album "Blue Wave" by the band Operators is available on cassette.

http://operators.store-08.com/music/

Time to dig your Sony Walkman's out of that box in the basement?

Krynoid
Krynoid
Lobby Attendant

Postby Marsbar » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:52 pm

When picture discs first appeared it was too often used to attract attention to an album that wasn't doing well. IE - Meatloaf

Then where CDs came along similar things started to happen.

Now in what may just be clever or desperate marketing here comes, first vinyl and now cassettes.

Just a thought.
Marsbar
Stage Manager

Postby MoodyBlue » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:28 pm

Of course they are coming back. I just tossed my cassette player in the trash near the end of 2015.

Cheers

John
MoodyBlue
Light Tech Manager

Postby Sunbeam » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:01 pm

Cassettes were at best a mid-fi medium- with a car stereo market niche, then came the Walkman. Sure there were some high-end cassette decks that folks used to save wear on their LPs, or to play in the car, and for marginal live recording, but that was transitory.

Funny that sales of both cassettes and LPs are up, CDs are down.

I still love my 12" vinyl.
Lovingly cleaning an LP, and placing the stylus in the groove is a God-like moment of expectant reverence. It requires deliberation, preparation, and anticipation, enhancing the experience.
It requires foreplay.

Clicking on a song title on the computer screen just does not require the emotional commitment to hearing a piece of music that playing an LP does.

--it took this much effort to play this, I'm going to enjoy every second-- vs. --nah, something else is just a click away-- No wonder our kids have such a short attention span.

Cassettes certainly had their place, but as a delivery medium for new music, they are deeply flawed. Most of my LPs from 40 years ago are still very playable. Most of my cassettes are not.

That turned into much more of a treatise on the psychology of music playback vis-a-vis media type than I had planned... Of course I still have my nice Pioneer and Nakamichi cassette decks, which mostly collect dust these days, unless I stumble across an old 1-off cassette that I want to rescue into the digital realm.
Sunbeam
Sound Tech Manager

Postby kosmo » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:42 am

I made Major a mixtape when he bought his Buick. It has a player in it. I never asked him if it sounded any good but it was a big wayback activity for me.
kosmo
Head Usher

Postby kongponleu88 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:59 pm

Yet similar to vinyl, a cassette sale bump represents a healthier .... Messed with a lot of cassettes back in the day and can't say that I miss them.
goldenslot
kongponleu88
Lobby Attendant

Return to Music