Spice Blends

Recipes, Hints and Ideas For Home

Spice Blends

Postby Sunbeam » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:05 am

Here's another example, I ran out of Montreal Steak Spice, and decided to research what it really contained. I find the pricing of the commercial offerings offensive. So, I found the following recipe, which includes a few of my own intuitive additions after the ---. It's as good as the commercial offerings, minus the hydrogenated oils, preservatives, and MSG :)

Montreal Steak Spice

2T Paprika
2T coarse black pepper
2T kosher salt
1T granulated garlic
1T onion powder
1T ground coriander seed
1T dill seed
1T red pepper flakes
---
1T lemon pepper
1t thyme
1/2t rosemary
2t fennel seed- optional-this is a really optional ingredient - if you like it... but I like it when I use this stuff on pork.

Note:
T= tablespoon
t= teaspoon

Use Dill Seed, not Dill Weed! The seed has a very different flavour than the leaf.
Adjust ingredients to taste- if you like heat, add more or less pepper flakes for example.

Blend ingredients and use. Whizz it all together in a blender if you like a more homogeneous blend.

Excellent on any grilled, broiled or baked meat: beef, pork, or poultry.
Sunbeam
Sound Tech Manager

Re: Spice Blends

Postby johnson33 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:10 am

Sunbeam wrote:Here's another example, I ran out of Montreal Steak Spice, and decided to research what it really contained. I find the pricing of the commercial offerings offensive. So, I found the following recipe, which includes a few of my own intuitive additions after the ---. It's as good as the commercial offerings, minus the hydrogenated oils, preservatives, and MSG :)

Montreal Steak Spices

2T Paprika
2T coarse black pepper
2T kosher salt
1T granulated garlic
1T onion powder
1T ground coriander seed
1T dill seed
1T red pepper flakes
---
1T lemon pepper
1t thyme
1/2t rosemary
2t fennel seed- optional-this is a really optional ingredient - if you like it... but I like it when I use this stuff on pork.

Note:
T= tablespoon
t= teaspoon

Use Dill Seed, not Dill Weed! The seed has a very different flavour than the leaf.
Adjust ingredients to taste- if you like heat, add more or less pepper flakes for example.

Blend ingredients and use. Whizz it all together in a blender if you like a more homogeneous blend.

Excellent on any grilled, broiled or baked meat: beef, pork, or poultry.

Hello there,
Thanks for the post!!
I have to know that Is it any benefit to using dill Seed???
Thanks in advance
johnson33
Lobby Attendant

Re: Spice Blends

Postby Marsbar » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:53 pm

that is great. I don't cook too often anymore. It seems to be like that when one lives alone. :-) I did get a huge bottle of David's Italian Rub that I enjoy on Chicken breasts.

Perhaps I'll get to following your mix receipt sometime soon.
Marsbar
Stage Manager

Return to Marsden Theatre Kitchens